12 April 2008 Military News
- MND-B Soldier attacked by IED (Baghdad)
- Airpower summary for April 11: A-10s support ground forces AFPN 12 Apr 2008
- US, Iraqi Forces Kill 13 Insurgents in Baghdad VOA 12 Apr 2008 -- The U.S. military says coalition forces killed at least 13 militants early Saturday in fighting in Baghdad's Sadr City.
- Afghan, Foreign Forces Kill 24 Taliban Militants in Southern Afghanistan VOA 12 Apr 2008 -- An Afghan official says government troops and foreign forces have killed 24 Taliban militants in an operation in southern Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Commander, U.S. 3rd Fleet Visits Thach Navy NewsStand 12 Apr 2008 -- Vice Adm. Samuel Locklear, Commander, U.S. 3rd Fleet visited guided-missile frigate USS Thach (FFG 43) April 11 to tour the ship and speak with Sailors during the start of its Joint Task Force Exercise (JTFEX 08-5) as part of the Ronald Reagan Strike Group.
- NAS ESG Ships Help Souda Bay Community Navy NewsStand 12 Apr 2008 -- Sailors from the Nassau Expeditionary Strike Group's (NAS ESG) amphibious assault ship, USS Nassau (LHA 4), and amphibious transport dock ship, USS Nashville (LPD 13), participated in community relations projects while in port Naval Support Activity (NSA), Souda Bay, April 9-10.
- Ronald Reagan Strike Group Underway for JTFEX 08-5 Navy NewsStand 12 Apr 2008 -- Sailors assigned to USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76), the staff of Commander, Carrier Strike Group (CCSG) 7 and embarked Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 14 departed San Diego April 11 to participate in Joint Task Force Exercise (JTFEX) 08-5.
- Ukraine displeased with Russia's statements regarding NATO RIA Novosti 12 Apr 2008 -- Ukraine's Foreign Ministry demanded Saturday that Russian authorities "stop the practice of threats" to Kiev.
- Northrop Grumman Authenticates Keel for New Mexico Submarine Northrop Grumman 12 Apr 2008 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) hosted a keel authentication ceremony for the Virginia-class submarine New Mexico (SSN 779) at the company's Shipbuilding sector in Newport News, Va.
- ICRC Steps Up Aid in Eastern Congo VOA 12 Apr 2008 -- The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is stepping up its humanitarian activities in response to escalating violence in eastern parts of the Democratic Republic of Congo
- Nepal maoists win 9 of the 18 seats declared IRNA 12 Apr 2008 -- The Maoists in Nepal are racing ahead in the Constituent Assembly polls to the decide the future political system for the country, with the former rebels bagging nine of the eighteen seats declared so far and trends indicating the CPN-Maoist leading in 60 of the 240 constituencies.
- Kyrgyzstan: Opposition Calls For Dismissal Of Parliament, New Constitution RFE/RL 12 Apr 2008 -- Some 2,000 representatives and supporters of Kyrgyzstan's main opposition parties, meeting in the capital, Bishkek, adopted a resolution today calling for the dismissal of parliament and the invalidation of the current constitution.
- Southern African Leaders Meet on Zimbabwe VOA 12 Apr 2008 -- Southern African leaders are meeting in the Zambian capital to discuss the political crisis in Zimbabwe following the country's failure to release the results of its presidential poll
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|