04 April 2008 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 04 Apr 2008 [PDF]
- DoD Identifies Air Force Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Coalition Team Assists in Building Combat Force AFPS 04 Apr 2008 -- A joint effort between the Coalition Army Advisory Training Team and the Iraqi Defense Ministry will have completed the Iraqi prime minister's objective for force generation by the end of the year, a senior military official said yesterday.
- Coalition Troops in Iraq Kill Two Terrorists, Detain 16 Suspects AFPS 04 Apr 2008 -- Coalition forces in Iraq today killed two terrorists and detained 16 suspected extremists during operations targeting al Qaeda senior leaders and bomb networks, military officials reported.
- Predator mishap occurs on Balad runway AFPN 04 Apr 2008 -- An Air Force MQ-1 Predator ran off of the runway here while landing at approximately 12:40 p.m. local time April 4.
- Aerial porters keep convoys off the road AFPN 04 Apr 2008 -- Although most people credit medical professionals with saving lives, another group of people here are helping to reduce patient numbers: the 332nd Expeditionary Logistics Readiness Squadron Aerial Port Flight.
- B-1 involved in ground incident after landing AFPN 04 Apr 2008 -- A B-1B Lancer, while taxiing after landing at an air base in Southwest Asia, was involved in a ground incident and caught fire at 9:10 p.m. local on April 4.
- U.S. May Send More Troops to Afghanistan in 2009, Gates Says AFPS 04 Apr 2008 -- The United States may send more troops to Afghanistan in 2009, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates confirmed today.
- US to Send More Combat Troops to Afghanistan Next Year VOA 04 Apr 2008 -- Defense Secretary Robert Gates says the United States plans to send more combat troops to Afghanistan next year, regardless of whether troop levels are reduced in Iraq. Speaking aboard a military aircraft on his way to Oman from the NATO summit in Romania, Gates said President Bush made the pledge to send a significant additional contribution of forces at the summit Thursday evening.
- Afghanistan: New NATO Commitments Lead Kabul To Take Greater Security Role RFE/RL 04 Apr 2008 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai says his government's forces will be ready by August to take over security in Kabul
- Russia, NATO agree on transit of non-lethal cargo to Afghanistan RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2008 -- Russia and NATO have agreed on land transits for non-lethal freight through Russian territory to NATO troops deployed in Afghanistan, Russia's envoy to NATO said on Friday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Media Availability with Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates following the NATO Summit Enroute to Oman 04 Apr 2008 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates
- Tarawa ESG Improving Lives in Djibouti Navy NewsStand 04 Apr 2008 -- The 354th Civil Affairs Brigade (CAB) Functional Speciality Team from Combined Joint Task Force, Horn of Africa (CTJF-HOA), kicked off a six-day medical civil action project (MEDCAP) and dental civil action project (DENCAP) in the Arta District of Djibouti, March 29.
- Vandenberg Airmen launch missile successfully AFPN 04 Apr 2008 -- A Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile configured with a National Nuclear Security Administration test assembly launched at 1:01 a.m. April 1 by Vandenberg Air Force Base officials.
- Boxer Teamwork Ensures Ammo Onload Safe and Successful Navy NewsStand 04 Apr 2008 -- USS Boxer (LHD 4) Sailors conducted an ammunition onload March 31 - April 1 to prepare the ship for future operations.
- USS Bulkeley: Repair Division Making a Difference Navy NewsStand 04 Apr 2008 -- As the Nassau Expeditionary Strike Group's guided-missile destroyer USS Bulkeley (DDG 84) continues its deployment, the ship's repair division is going the extra mile to ensure its ship is ready to handle any situation that may arise.
- US Special Forces Carry Weapons, Words VOA 04 Apr 2008 -- At the training center for members of the U.S. Army's elite Special Forces, soldiers learn a variety of specialized skills to enable them to take the lead in some of the toughest combat zones in the world.
- Asia-Pacific Leaders Focus on Security Concerns, Cooperation AFPS 04 Apr 2008 -- More than 60 military and government leaders from across Asia and the Pacific yesterday kicked off a six-week program that aims to help them work more effectively and cooperatively to promote regional security.
- Boxer CIC Painting Tactical Picture During Assessments Navy NewsStand 04 Apr 2008 -- USS Boxer's (LHD 4) Combat Information Center (CIC) has engaged in multiple training scenarios during the ship's underway period March 26-April 4.
- Gates Leaves NATO Summit Pleased With Outcomes AFPS 04 Apr 2008 -- Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said today that he is pleased with the results of the three-day NATO summit that wrapped up today.
- President Bush Welcomed in Croatia Following NATO Summit VOA 04 Apr 2008 -- Croatian President Stipe Mesic has welcomed U.S. President George W. Bush, a day after the NATO summit in Bucharest invited Croatia and Albania to begin membership talks.
- NATO: On Georgia And Ukraine, A Meeting Of 'Old' And 'New' Minds RFE/RL 04 Apr 2008 -- Officials from NATO member states headed to the Bucharest summit prepared for a tough fight.
- NATO Diary: Bucharest, You Are No Munich! RFE/RL 04 Apr 2008 -- The NATO summit's final day was all about Moscow -- a meeting of the NATO-Russia Council, and one of Vladimir Putin's final opportunities to address the world stage
- NATO: Czech FM Explains The Georgia, Ukraine Compromise RFE/RL 04 Apr 2008 -- NATO's decision to deny Georgia and Ukraine a Membership Action Plan but offer a promise of eventual alliance membership surprised many observers
- NATO: Uzbek, Turkmen Presidents Offer Cooperation RFE/RL 04 Apr 2008 -- The presidents of Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan have sought to make their historical appearances at the NATO summit in Bucharest productive despite their being overshadowed by events surrounding Ukraine, Georgia, Russia, and Afghanistan.
- NATO: Russia Agrees To Transit Accord While Reiterating Expansion Objections RFE/RL 04 Apr 2008 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin met with the leaders of NATO member states, on the last day of the alliance's summit in Bucharest.
- Wrap: Putin warns NATO over expansion, but says new Cold War impossible RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2008 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Friday that any further NATO expansion toward Russia's borders would be interpreted as a direct security threat, but ruled out a new Cold War.
- NATO-Russia Council should resolve differences - Scheffer RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2008 -- NATO Secretary General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer said Friday he hoped the NATO-Russia Council session in Bucharest, Romania, would help to overcome existing disagreements between Moscow and the alliance.
- NATO urges Russia to lift CFE Treaty moratorium RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2008 -- NATO leaders at a summit in Bucharest issued a statement urging Russia to lift its moratorium on the CFE Treaty and to consider proposals made by the alliance.
- Putin Meets with NATO Leaders VOA 04 Apr 2008 -- NATO leaders wrapped up their Bucharest summit with a closed-door meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin
- Putin warns NATO against further expansion to Russia's borders RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2008 -- Any further expansion by NATO toward Russia's borders will be interpreted as a direct threat to the country's security, Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Friday.
- Russian Air Force preparing to deploy second S-400 regiment RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2008 -- Russia's Air Force is preparing to deploy a second regiment equipped with new S-400 air defense systems, the Air Force commander said on Friday.
- Russia to fly 20-30 strategic patrol missions every month RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2008 -- Russia is set to drastically increase its number of strategic aviation patrol flights over the world's oceans to 20-30 a month, the Air Force commander said on Friday.
- New Russian nuclear submarine to go to sea this year RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2008 -- Russia will put its first Borey-class strategic nuclear submarine through sea trials in the second half of 2008, the Russian Navy commander said on Friday.
- Russia to complete tests of Bulava-M missile in 2008 RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2008 -- Tests of Russia's new Bulava-M (NATO reporting name SS-NX-30) sea-launched ballistic missile will be completed in 2008, the Navy commander said on Friday.
- Russia to have 5-6 aircraft carriers by 2060 - Navy commander RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2008 -- Russia is developing a new naval strategy which envisions the creation of 5-6 aircraft carrier joint task groups by 2050-2060, the Navy commander said on Friday.
- Russia to finance Venezuelan submarine deal - paper RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2008 -- Venezuela is in talks with Moscow for a loan of about $800 million to partially finance the purchase of four Kilo-class Project 636 diesel submarines, Russian business daily Kommersant reported on Friday.
- Pakistan Air Force gets early Swedish warning and control system aircraft IRNA 04 Apr 2008 -- Swedish defence major Saab on Thursday delivered the first of five airborne early warning and control system aircraft to the Pakistan Air Force (PAF), the PAF said.
- Global : Mine ban treaty facing its acid test IRIN 04 Apr 2008 -- It is unlikely that the majority of the 20 countries supposed to clear all their mined areas by 2009 as signatories to the Mine Ban Treaty will make the cut, the International Campaign to Ban Landmines (ICBL) said in a statement on 4 April.
- Ban Ki-moon marks International Day with call to assist landmine survivors UN News Centre 04 Apr 2008 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has urged greater support for the nearly half a million survivors of landmines and explosive remnants of war around the world to enable them to realize their rights and be productive members of society.
- Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 04 Apr 2008
- Press Gaggle by a Senior Administration Official The White House 04 Apr 2008
- DoD News: Contracts for April 04, 2008
- Boeing and Sweden Team Up for C-130 AMP Success Boeing 04 Apr 2008 -- As the Swedish Air Force prepares to modernize its first C-130 aircraft, members of Sweden's C-130 program and Boeing's [NYSE: BA] C-130 Avionics Modernization Program (AMP) are working together to ensure success.
- Pratt & Whitney F135 Team Completes STOVL Altitude Flight Qualification Testing Pratt & Whitey 04 Apr 2008 -- Pratt & Whitney completed all altitude testing necessary for flight qualification of the F135 short-takeoff/vertical-landing (STOVL) propulsion system at the U.S. Air Force Arnold Engineering Development Center in Tennessee
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICES OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL AND THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY PRESIDENT United Nations 04 Apr 2008
- Further stability can boost prospects for Georgian-Abkhaz peace - UN report UN News Centre 04 Apr 2008 -- Unlike the tensions that characterized much of the last two years, the past few months have witnessed a relatively stable security situation along the ceasefire line between the Georgian and Abkhaz sides, which could contribute to improving relations between the parties, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon says in a new report.
- Marking 'grim' anniversary for Darfur, Secretary-General urges sharper focus UN News Centre 04 Apr 2008 -- Avowing that the situation in Sudan's Darfur region remains as grim, or worse, than it was four years ago when the Security Council first took up the issue, United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called for an immediate focus on the fundamentals of peace and the protection of civilians in the strife-torn region.
- In Côte d'Ivoire, UN mission dismantles nearly all posts in zone of confidence UN News Centre 04 Apr 2008 -- The United Nations peacekeeping mission in Côte d'Ivoire has now dismantled almost all of its military observation posts in the former zone of confidence separating the Government-held and rebel-controlled areas of the country as part of last year's accord ending active hostilities between the two sides.
- UN refugee agency appeals for $40 million for those displaced in Darfur UN News Centre 04 Apr 2008 -- The United Nations refugee agency today issued an appeal for $40.3 million to provide protection and assistance to refugees and internally displaced people (IDPs) in Sudan's conflict-wracked Darfur region in 2008.
- Former top Yugoslav figure granted temporary leave by UN war crimes tribunal UN News Centre 04 Apr 2008 -- The United Nations tribunal set up to deal with the worst crimes committed during the Balkan conflicts of the 1990s has granted temporary release to a former senior Yugoslav political figure facing trial over an alleged campaign of terror and violence against Kosovo Albanians and other non-Serbs in 1999.
- Aide to Israeli Cabinet Minister Shot in Palestinian Attack VOA 04 Apr 2008 -- An aide to an Israeli cabinet minister has been shot and wounded by a Palestinian gunman
- Russian Air Force prepares for peacekeeping mission to Chad RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2008 -- A Russian Air Force helicopter group has begun preparations for a peacekeeping mission to Chad, Air Force Commander Col. Gen. Alexander Zelin said on Friday.
- US Calls Delay in Zimbabwe Vote Tally Suspicious VOA 04 Apr 2008 -- The United States said Friday that the continuing delay in the release of results from Zimbabwe's presidential elections only raises more suspicion about possible fraud
- Zimbabwe Still Waiting For Election Results VOA 04 Apr 2008 -- The politburo of Zimbabwe's ZANU PF party is gathered at party headquarters in Harare Friday, for an unscheduled meeting where leaders are expected to discuss last Saturday's election
- Zimbabwe's Ruling Party Endorses Mugabe For Possible Runoff VOA 04 Apr 2008 -- Zimbabwe's ruling party has endorsed President Robert Mugabe as its candidate if a presidential run-off is necessary.
- Chinese Official in Tibet Calls for Swift Trial of Alleged Lhasa Rioters VOA 04 Apr 2008 -- China's top law and order official in Tibet has called on judges in the remote region to swiftly try and judge Tibetans accused of involvement in recent rare anti-government unrest.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|