23 March 2008 Military News
- MND-B Soldiers attacked by IED
- PRESS CONFERENCE: Detainee Operations: Maj. Gen. Stone, March 23, 2008 MNF-I 23 Mar 2008 -- Maj. Gen. Doug Stone, the commanding general for detainee operations with Multi-National Force - Iraq discusses Coalition Force's detainee process in Iraq
- March 22 airpower summary:F-15s suppress enemy fire AFPN 23 Mar 2008
- Coalition Forces in Iraq Kill 25 Terrorists, Detain Dozens AFPS 23 Mar 2008 -- Coalition forces in Iraq killed 12 terrorists today during an operation east of Baqouba targeting members of a suicide bombing network, military officials said.
- Insurgent Attacks in Baghdad, Northern Iraq Kill 40 People VOA 23 Mar 2008 -- Iraqi officials say insurgents attacks in Baghdad and northern Iraq have killed at least 40 people.
- Afghan, Coalition Forces Inflict Casualties, Disrupt Insurgents AFPS 23 Mar 2008 -- Afghan national security forces, assisted by coalition forces, killed more than a dozen insurgents March 21 when the combined force foiled a Taliban ambush in Afghanistan's Oruzgan province, military officials said.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Hamas rejects reports of secret talks with Israel RIA Novosti 23 Mar 2008 -- The militant group Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip, rejected on Sunday the report by Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas that it was holding secret talks with Israel.
- UNICEF denounces abduction of engineers in North Darfur UN News Centre 23 Mar 2008 -- The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) today condemned the hijacking and abduction in Sudan's North Darfur state of a team of engineers with the country's State Water Corporation and called for the immediate release of the four men and their equipment.
- Cheney Holds Talks With Palestinian Leaders VOA 23 Mar 2008 -- U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney met with Israeli and Palestinian leaders on Sunday.
- Palestinian Factions Agree to Direct Talks in Yemen, Disagree on Significance VOA 23 Mar 2008 -- At peace talks in Yemen, the two warring Palestinian factions have agreed to hold direct talks for the first time since the collapse of their unity government in June following the Hamas takeover of the Gaza Strip
- VP Cheney to Visit Ankara as US-Turkish Relations Warm VOA 23 Mar 2008 -- U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney's visit to Turkey on Monday comes at a time when relations between the two countries are generally good.
- Dalai Lama rejects claims of plotting Tibet violence - TV RIA Novosti 23 Mar 2008 -- The Dalai Lama is rejecting allegations in the Chinese official press that he was behind the recent violent demonstrations in Lhasa, the capital of Tibet, TV channel EuroNews said Sunday.
- China Accuses Dalai Lama of Trying to Mar Olympic Games VOA 23 Mar 2008 -- China has accused the Dalai Lama of attempting to mar the upcoming Olympic Games in Beijing by stirring up protests in Tibet.
- Bhutto party nominate Pakistan's next Prime Minister: spokesman IRNA 23 Mar 2008 -- The party of assassinated leader Benazir Bhutto on Saturday nominated Syed Yousaf Raza Gilani candidate to become Pakistan's next prime minister, the party Co-Chairman Asif Ali Zardari announced.
- Pakistani opposition party withdraws candidate for PM slot IRNA 23 Mar 2008 -- The lone candidate fielded by the pro-Musharraf's opposition parties for the office of the Prime Minister announced Saturday that he is withdrawing in the favor of the candidate of the would-be coalition government.
- Pakistan: President Pledges Support To New Government RFE/RL 23 Mar 2008 -- President Pervez Musharraf says that a "democratic era" has begun in Pakistan and that the incoming government will enjoy his "full support," even as the opposition named a candidate to lead a coalition government united against him.
- Musharraf Praises 'New Era of Democracy' for Pakistan VOA 23 Mar 2008 -- Pakistan's president says his country, is ushering in a new era of democracy following years of his autocratic rule
- Putin's Choice: A Profile of Dmitry Medvedev RFE/RL 23 Mar 2008 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has taken steps to ensure the continuity of power after his term ends by selecting a trusted protege, First Deputy Prime Minister and Gazprom board Chairman Dmitry Medvedev, to succeed him and by moving to the
- The Future Medvedev Team RFE/RL 23 Mar 2008 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin put all of the Kremlin's "administrative resources" behind the presidential candidacy of Dmitry Medvedev, and most of the people who worked on Medvedev's campaign are more strongly allied with Putin than with the new president.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|