02 March 2008 Military News
- PRESS CONFERENCE: Rear Adm. Gregory Smith, Dr. Tahseen Sheikhly, Brig. Gen. Jeffrey Dorko, March 2, 2008 MNF-I 02 Mar 2008 -- Rear Adm. Gregory Smith, MNF-I, Dr. Tahseen Sheikhly, spokesman for Operation Fardh al-Qanoon, and Brig. Gen. Jeffrey Dorko, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, discuss ongoing projects in the Baghdad area
- Coalition Captures Bomb Facilitator, Detains Terror Suspects AFPS 02 Mar 2008 -- Coalition forces in Iraq captured an alleged homemade-bomb facilitator with ties to al Qaeda in Iraq today, and detained numerous other terrorism suspects in a variety of recent operations, military officials reported.
- March 1 airpower summary: B-1Bs destroy enemy targets AFPN 02 Mar 2008
- Afghan, Coalition Forces Disrupt Taliban Networks AFPS 02 Mar 2008 -- Several insurgents were killed and 14 suspected insurgents were detained during coalition forces operations conducted yesterday and Feb. 29 to degrade Taliban leadership networks in Afghanistan.
- Prince Harry Says He Wants to Return to Afghanistan VOA 02 Mar 2008 -- Speaking for the first time since flying back to Britain, Prince Harry says he is no hero
- Militants Destroy Mobile Phone Towers in Afghanistan VOA 02 Mar 2008 -- Afghan police say suspected Taliban militants have destroyed two telephone towers in southern Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Mesa Verde Earns Amphibious Warfare Certification Navy NewsStand 02 Mar 2008 -- After weeks of hard training and preparation, the crew of USS Mesa Verde (LPD 19) earned their Amphibious Warfare (AMW) Certification from commander, Naval Beach Group 2 on Feb. 1.
- North Korea Condemns US - South Korea Joint Defense Drill VOA 02 Mar 2008 -- The United States and South Korea have begun a robust week-long series of annual military exercises aimed at ensuring the two allies can deter and defeat any incursion by North Korea
- Security Council, Secretary-General alarmed by deadly violence in Middle East UN News Centre 02 Mar 2008 -- The Security Council and Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon have condemned the escalating violence in the Gaza Strip and southern Israel, which has claimed dozens of civilian lives in recent days.
- Israel Bombs Hamas Prime Minister's Office in Gaza VOA 02 Mar 2008 -- Israel is expanding a military offensive in Gaza as the Palestinian death toll continues to climb
- Another 10 Palestinians killed in Israeli raid on Gaza Sunday RIA Novosti 02 Mar 2008 -- Another 10 Palestinians were killed in an Israeli raid on the Gaza Strip on Sunday bringing the death toll in the last few days to 110 people, many of them civilians, a Palestinian health official said.
- Israel threatens broader offensive in Gaza RIA Novosti 02 Mar 2008 -- Israel could launch a broader offensive in the Gaza Strip to remove the radical Islamic group Hamas from control of the Palestinian enclave, the country's defense minister said on Sunday.
- Palestinians Suspend Peace Talks With Israel Over Gaza Bloodshed VOA 02 Mar 2008 -- The Palestinians have suspended peace negotiations with Israel in response to a deadly incursion into the Gaza Strip
- Venezuela's Chavez Sends Troops to Colombian Border VOA 02 Mar 2008 -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has ordered troops to his country's border with Colombia after the Colombian military entered Ecuador to attack FARC rebels.
- Sri Lankan Military: 22 Killed in Latest Violence VOA 02 Mar 2008 -- Sri Lankan authorities say suspected Tamil Tiger rebels set off two roadside bombs in the island's north, killing a soldier and injuring 10 other people.
- LRA Delegation Storms Out Of Follow-Up Meeting VOA 02 Mar 2008 -- The Ugandan government and rebels from the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) have signed the last in a series of documents before a final peace agreement.
- Easy Victory in Russian Presidential Vote for Medvedev, Putin's Hand-Picked Successor 02 Mar 2008 -- With 80 percent of the ballots counted, Medvedev has 70 percent of the vote. While the result is hardly a surprise, two of his opponents are crying foul
- Russians Voting In Presidential Poll Most Feel Is Already Decided RFE/RL 02 Mar 2008 -- Muscovites trudged through freezing rain and slush today to vote in a controversial presidential election.
- The Two-Headed Tsar: Who Will Really Be In Charge In Russia? RFE/RL 02 Mar 2008 -- There are several traditions embedded in Russian politics through which lesser bureaucrats show fealty to the leader
- Medvedev Ahead in Russian Polls; Opponents Claim Irregularities VOA 02 Mar 2008 -- As Russia awaits the final tally from Sunday's presidential election, Kremlin-backed candidate Dmitri Medvedev appears certain to win the vote in every single region of the country
- Suicide Blast at Pakistani Tribal Security Meeting Kills 35 VOA 02 Mar 2008 -- Officials in northwest Pakistan say a suicide bomber killed at least 35 people and wounded scores more in an attack on a meeting of tribal elders
- Eight killed in Armenia protests over presidential vote results RIA Novosti 02 Mar 2008 -- Eight people were killed and over 130 wounded in Armenia's capital in overnight clashes between police and protesters unhappy with recent presidential election results, police said on Sunday.
- Eight Killed In Armenia After Clashes Between Police, Protesters RFE/RL 02 Mar 2008 -- Eight people are reported to have been killed in overnight clashes between police and opposition protesters in the Armenian capital, Yerevan.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|