01 March 2008 Military News
- Feb. 29 airpower summary: F-15s perform show of force AFPN 01 Mar 2008
- Prince Harry Returns to Britain After Deployment Disclosed VOA 02 Mar 2008 -- With his deployment in Afghanistan no longer secret, Prince Harry, 23, has flown back to Britain.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Navy Ship Christened 'New York' Symbolizes U.S. Resiliency AFPS 01 Mar 2008 -- On what was described as a "fine Navy, Marine Corps day," in New Orleans, Defense Department officials, servicemembers and distinguished guests gathered today to christen a tangible symbol of America's mettle.
- NHB Staff Prep for Upcoming USNS Mercy Mission Navy NewsStand 01 Mar 2008 -- In what has become a cyclical event of compassion and commitment, Naval Hospital Bremerton (NHB) personnel will embark this summer on Military Sealift Command hospital ship USNS Mercy (T-AH 19).
- SURFOR Holds Relinquishment of Command Ceremony Navy NewsStand 01 Mar 2008 -- Vice Adm. Terrance T. Etnyre, commander, Naval Surface Forces (SURFOR), relinquished command to Rear Adm. Kevin M. Quinn, Deputy, Commander Naval Surface Forces, Feb. 29 during a ceremony on board the amphibious assault ship USS Boxer (LHD 4).
- USS Annapolis Returns From African Partnership Station, Deployment Navy NewsStand 01 Mar 2008 -- USS Annapolis (SSN 760) returned home to Naval Submarine Base New London Feb. 28 after a regularly scheduled six-month deployment.
- USS Buttercup is Still Sinking Navy NewsStand 01 Mar 2008
- Bataan's Crew Moves Back Aboard Navy NewsStand 01 Mar 2008 -- USS Bataan (LHD 5) Sailors passed yet another milestone in their depot planned maintenance availability (DPMA) period at Norfolk Naval Shipyard (NNSY) as they moved back aboard Feb. 26.
- Chief of Naval Operations Releases Podcast on Building the Fleet of the Future Navy NewsStand 01 Mar 2008 -- Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. Gary Roughead discussed the future force of the Navy, new technology and how Sailors are a vital role in the Navy's mission in his most recent podcast.
- USS Fort McHenry Holds Change of Command Navy NewsStand 01 Mar 2008 -- A change of command ceremony was held aboard the amphibious dock landing ship USS Fort McHenry (LSD 43) here, Feb. 23.
- USS Nassau Wins 2007 Battle "E" Award Navy NewsStand 01 Mar 2008 -- Commander, Naval Surface Forces announced USS Nassau (LHA 4) as a winner of the 2007 Battle Effectiveness "E" award, which was announced in a naval message Feb. 29.
- At Least 80 Palestinians Killed, Israel to Continue Offensive in Gaza VOA 01 Mar 2008 -- Palestinians gather next to a house after it was hit in an Israeli missile strike in Rafah, southern Gaza Strip, Sunday, 02 March 2008
- Worsening conflict in Gaza leaves children at particular risk, UNICEF warns UN News Centre 01 Mar 2008 -- The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) today voiced its deep concern at the escalating conflict in the Gaza Strip, warning both Israel and the Palestinians to "take all feasible measures" to ensure the protection and care of children caught up in the violence.
- Peacekeepers in Abkhazia set up additional posts RIA Novosti 01 Mar 2008 -- Collective peacekeeping forces in the zone of the Georgian-Abkhaz conflict have set up additional observation posts, an aide to the peacekeeping force commander said on Saturday.
- Armenian Troops, Tanks Patrol Capital After 8 Killed in Protests VOA 01 Mar 2008 -- Troops and tanks are patrolling the Armenian capital, Yerevan, Sunday, after protests that left at least eight people dead and dozens injured.
- Russia's Election Laws Favor Kremlin Candidate VOA 01 Mar 2008 -- The rules and procedures of Sunday's Russia's presidential election are widely considered to favor candidate Dmitri Medvedev, President Vladimir Putin's designated choice to succeed him
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|