26 January 2008 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Mrs. Mullen Christens Guided-Missile Destroyer AFPS 26 Jan 2008 -- Under gray skies providing a slight, cold drizzle, Deborah Mullen stepped before the massive 9,200-ton guided-missile destroyer and, with all the grit her slight frame could muster, gave it a good whack, just under the "bullnose."
- San Diego Air and Space Museum gets special warfare drones from SEALs Navy NewsStand 26 Jan 2008 -- Two unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), previously used by Navy SEALs, were assigned a new mission at the San Diego Air and Space Museum Jan. 16.
- Navy Customs Battalion Tango Hits Passenger Milestone Navy NewsStand 26 Jan 2008 -- Navy Customs Battalion Tango recognized its 100,000th homeward-bound passenger as he headed through a customs inspection Jan. 15, a milestone since Tango's assumption of duties in Oct. 2007.
- USS Mesa Verde Arrives at Her New Homeport Navy NewsStand 26 Jan 2008 -- USS Mesa Verde (LPD 19), the Navy's newest warship, arrived at her homeport of Norfolk, Virginia on December 21st, after being commissioned less than a week before in Panama City, Florida
- Patrol and Reconnaissance Wing 10 Changes Hands Navy NewsStand 26 Jan 2008 -- Commander Patrol and Reconnaissance Wing (CPRW) 10 held a change of command ceremony in Hangar 7 on Naval Air Station (NAS) Whidbey Island, Jan. 24.
- Essex Performs Night MEDEVAC Navy NewsStand 26 Jan 2008 -- Sailors from the forward-deployed amphibious ship USS Essex (LHD 2) and the pilots and aircrew of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 25 rescued a merchant sailor who was suffering from stroke-like symptoms while onboard a Military Sealift Command ship in the Sea of Japan, Jan 25.
- Russia reiterates concern over Ukraine's desire to join NATO RIA Novosti 26 Jan 2008 -- Russia is concerned over Ukraine's drive to join NATO, which may seriously harm Russian-Ukrainian relations, the Foreign Ministry said on Saturday.
- Adm. Mullen Says Northrop Grumman-Built and Newly Christened Dewey (DDG 105) 'Must be Prepared to Answer Nation's Call' Northrop Grumman 26 Jan 2008 -- In a traditional U.S. Navy ceremony here Saturday, the U.S. Navy's 55th Aegis guided missile destroyer, Dewey (DDG 105), built by Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC), was christened in front of more than 1,000 guests.
- KENYA: Nakuru residents join displaced camp in their own town as violence erupts IRIN 26 Jan 2008 -- Nakuru residents made up most of the new arrivals at the town's showground camp set up for people fleeing post-election violence in neighbouring districts, according to a local aid official.
- Russia: Security Forces Violently Disperse Protest In Ingushetia RFE/RL 26 Jan 2008 -- Police have clashed with hundreds of protesters rallying against corruption and human rights abuses in Russia's southern Republic of Ingushetia.
- Israel Resists Demands to Ease Gaza Blockade VOA 26 Jan 2008 -- Israel is resisting international demands to ease its crippling blockade of the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|