08 December 2007 Military News
- Dec. 7 airpower summary: C-130s keep mission moving AFPN 08 Dec 2007
- Afghan, NATO Operation Kills 14 in Southern Afghanistan VOA 08 Dec 2007 -- Afghanistan's Defense Ministry says NATO and Afghan troops have killed 12 suspected militants and two children in an operation to reclaim the southern Taliban-held town of Musa Qala.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Multilateral Cooperation Critical to Gulf Region Security, Gates Says AFPS 08 Dec 2007 -- Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates pressed today for expanded multilateral cooperation that could better protect the Persian Gulf region against threats from Iran and other destabilizing forces.
- Gates Calls for Continued International Pressure on Iran AFPS 08 Dec 2007 -- Days after a new national intelligence estimate concluded that Iran has stopped its nuclear weapons program but could restart it any time, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates called on the international community to keep up its pressure on Tehran.
- U.S. blocks Russia-NATO Council's cooperation program for 2008 RIA Novosti 08 Dec 2007 -- The United States blocked the Russia-NATO Council's cooperation program for 2008 at a meeting in Brussels, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Saturday.
- Russia sees hope for U.S. missile shield talks RIA Novosti 08 Dec 2007 -- Russia and the U.S. still have a chance to reach an understanding on the issue of Washington's plans for a missile defense system in Central Europe, Russia's foreign minister said on Saturday.
- Lavrov says U.S. main obstacle to Kosovo settlement RIA Novosti 08 Dec 2007 -- Russia's foreign minister said on Saturday that the U.S. position on Kosovo was the main obstacle to a negotiated solution on the province's status.
- UN, Sudan agree on importance of deploying Darfur force UN News Centre 08 Dec 2007 -- Representatives of the United Nations and the Government of Sudan today issued a joint statement stressing the importance of deploying the African Union-UN Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) and urging international support for this effort.
- CHAD: Mounting rebel fronts hamper aid efforts IRIN 08 Dec 2007 -- Fighting is breaking out in so many parts of eastern Chad that aid workers say they can't even keep count.
- Kosovo: Internationally Mediated Talks End Without A Deal RFE/RL 08 Dec 2007 -- International mediators in talks between Kosovo and Serbia have concluded that no agreement can be reached on Kosovo's final status ahead of a UN deadline on December 10
- Fighting in Congo's North Kivu Blocks Access to Victims VOA 08 Dec 2007 -- The International Committee of the Red Cross says it is unable to access victims of fighting in North Kivu, a province in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Russia's central election commission confirms poll results RIA Novosti 08 Dec 2007 -- The Russian Central Election Commission declared the December 2 parliamentary polls valid and confirmed the official results on Saturday.
- Pakistan's Army: Most of Swat Valley Cleared of Pro-Taliban Militants VOA 08 Dec 2007 -- Pakistan's army says it has cleared almost all pro-Taliban militants from the country's northwestern Swat Valley, after killing nearly 300 militants in recent weeks.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|