Four dead as Chechen militants attack Russian security forces
08/10/2007 10:15 GROZNY, October 8 (RIA Novosti) - Four members of the Russian security forces were killed and 10 wounded in Chechnya when their motorcade came under automatic weapon fire from militants, a local police source said on Monday.
"The incident happened yesterday morning [Sunday] near the village of Dargo, in the Vedeno district, when unknown assailants opened fire on the motorcade," said the source.
One police officer and three contract soldiers were reported to have been killed during the ambush, which lasted for around 30 minutes.
A Chechen militant Web site said that the attack had been carried out by "mujahedeen commanded by Amir Usman." The Chechen militant Web site also put the death toll at 10-15.
The Web site also claimed that the ambush had taken place following an attack on security forces in the village of Dargo, and that the soldiers and police officers had been pursuing the "mujahedeen" responsible when they were fired on.
Although the active phase of the North Caucasus anti-terrorism campaign officially ended in 2001, periodic bombings and clashes between gunmen and federal troops still disrupt Chechnya and nearby regions, including Daghestan, Ingushetia, Kabardino-Balkaria, and Karachayevo-Circassia.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|