22 September 2007 Military News
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Task Force Marne Soldier dies in non-combat related incident
- Task Force Lightning Soldier dies in non-combat related incident
- Sept. 21 airpower summary: F-16s fill multiple combat roles AFPN 22 Sep 2007 -- Coalition airpower supported coalition ground forces in Iraq and the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan during operations Sept. 21, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- Marne Torch II continues to bring in AQI members MNF-I22 Sep 2007 -- Paratroopers conducting Operation Bethel detained insurgent suspects and destroyed weapons caches Sept. 19.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Commander Reaffirms U.S. Commitment to Pacific Region AFPS 22 Sep 2007 -- Six months into the job as commander of the largest U.S. combatant command, Navy Adm. Timothy J. Keating still pinches himself each morning when he arrives to work and takes in the views of Pearl Harbor from his mountaintop headquarters.
- USS Pearl Harbor Departs Mazatlan, Begins ULTRA-S Navy NewsStand 22 Sep 2007 -- USS Pearl Harbor (LSD 52) departed Mazatlan, Mexico September 20, heading back to its homeport of San Diego in conclusion of Partnership of the Americas (POA) 2007 deployment.
- Global Fleet Station Wraps up First Week of Jamaica Training Navy NewsStand 22 Sep 2007 -- The pilot Global Fleet Station (GFS) completed the first week of training during its visit to Jamaica, Sept. 21, the final stop aboard High Speed Vessel (HSV) 2 Swift.
- USS Ford Returns Home from CARAT Deployment Navy NewsStand 22 Sep 2007 -- USS Ford (FFG 54) returned to Naval Station Everett after completing a three and a half month deployment in Southeast Asia, Sept. 20.
- Russia, U.S. to conduct joint naval exercises Sept. 28-30 RIA Novosti 22 Sep 2007 -- Two U.S. Navy combat ships will arrive September 24 in the port of Vladivostok in Russia's Far East to participate in joint maneuvers with the Russian Navy, Russia's Pacific Fleet spokesman said Saturday.
- Russia to send military observers to Darfur - UN envoy RIA Novosti 22 Sep 2007 -- Russia is planning to send a group of military experts to Darfur to join the largest UN peacekeeping operation to date, Russia's envoy to the UN said Saturday.
- New UN envoy to Somalia holds first meetings in Mogadishu UN News Centre 22 Sep 2007 -- The newly appointed United Nations envoy to Somalia arrived today in country's capital, Mogadishu, for talks with leaders of the Transitional Federal Institutions (TFIs) in a bid to encourage national reconciliation.
- Darfur Rebel Groups Suspend Meeting in Chad VOA 22 Sep 2007 -- A meeting of rebel groups from Sudan's Darfur region, aimed at finding a common position ahead of October peace talks, has been temporarily suspended
- UNHCR Gains Access to Displaced in North Kivu VOA 22 Sep 2007 -- The United Nations refugee agency (UNHCR) says it is distributing desperately needed relief supplies to thousands of people displaced by fighting in the Democratic Republic of Congo's eastern province of North Kivu
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|