20 September 2007 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 20 Sep 2007 [PDF]
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Transcript: DoD News Briefing with Press Secretary Geoff Morrell from the Pentagon, Arlington, Va. 20 Sep 2007 -- Presenter: Pentagon Press Secretary Geoff Morrell
- Press Conference: Lt. Gen. Raymond T. Odierno, 9/20/2007 MNF-I 20 Sep 2007
- Sept. 19 airpower summary: Maintainers keep mission flying AFPN 20 Sep 2007 -- Coalition airpower supported coalition ground forces in Iraq and International Security Assistance Force troops in Afghanistan during operations Sept. 19, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- Coalition Forces Continue to Target al Qaeda Leaders in Iraq AFPS 20 Sep 2007 -- Coalition forces killed seven terrorists and detained eight suspected terrorists today during operations targeting al Qaeda leaders in the central part of Iraq.
- Coalition forces arrest Iranian Quds Force officer MNF-I 20 Sep 2007 -- Coalition forces arrested an Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps - Quds Force officer in Sulimaniyah today.
- US Military Says Iranian Officer Under Arrest in Northern Iraq VOA 20 Sep 2007 -- The U.S. military says it has arrested an Iranian officer accused of smuggling powerful roadside bombs into Iraq for Tehran's elite Quds force
- Security Council renews international security force in Afghanistan for 12 months UN News Centre 20 Sep 2007 -- Voicing its concern about increased violence and terrorism in Afghanistan, the Security Council has approved the extension of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in the country for another year, with the Russian Federation abstaining on the vote.
- AFGHANISTAN: UN trying to verify civilian casualties with limited resources IRIN 20 Sep 2007 -- The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) on 19 September rejected alleged implications in an IRIN report dated 5 September 2007 that it was seeking to be a "body-counting" authority in Afghanistan.
- Afghanistan: Southern Insurgency Tests Resolve Of ISAF Allies RFE/RL 20 Sep 2007 -- Although NATO commanders in Afghanistan say Taliban insurgents are on the run, there are signs that the resolve of key ISAF nations is flagging in the face of a task that could take decades and has already cost the lives of many soldiers
- Russia abstains from UN Security Council vote on Afghanistan RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2007 -- Russia abstained from a UN Security Council vote to extend the authorization of the NATO-led force in Afghanistan for another 12 months, reported RIA Novosti Thursday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- B-52s demonstrate global reach, power AFPN 20 Sep 2007 -- Airmen of the 20th Expeditionary Bomb Squadron here flew to the Pele Bombing Range in Hawaii to drop inert weapons as part of Exercise Koa Lightning Sept. 16 and 17.
- International air chiefs to meet in Washington AFPN 20 Sep 2007 -- The Air Force chief of staff will host representatives of more than 90 international air forces during the third Global Air Chiefs Conference here Sept. 21 to 28.
- Air Force officers have alternate path to joint qualification AFPN 20 Sep 2007 -- The Air Force will adopt a more flexible process for officers to gain joint qualification beginning Oct. 1.
- Housing privatization to begin at six bases AFPN 20 Sep 2007 -- Improved living conditions for Airmen and their families at six Air Education and Training Command bases will become a reality Oct. 1.
- New San Antonio Center for Wounded Warriors to Replace Current Facility AFPS 20 Sep 2007 -- A new Warrior and Family Support Center being built here will be 10 times the size of the current facility.
- GW Jump Starts with Flight Deck Qualifications Navy NewsStand 20 Sep 2007 -- After more than a year of silence on the flight deck, the roar of jet engines filled the air and rumbled throughout USS George Washington (CVN 73).
- Lassen Safely Completes Ammo On Load Navy NewsStand 20 Sep 2007 -- Sailors aboard the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Lassen (DDG 82) safely completed an ammunition on load Sept. 19, while at anchorage off of Fleet Activities Yokosuka.
- Overlord Regiment Commissions Navy NewsStand 20 Sep 2007 -- The 25th Naval Construction Regiment (NCR) was recommissioned Sept. 14, becoming an active unit of the U.S. Navy, fully prepared to take on the responsibilities as such.
- Congressional Members Visit Big E Navy NewsStand 20 Sep 2007 -- USS Enterprise (Big E) (CVN 65)Carrier Strike Group hosted a congressional delegation Sept. 13-14.
- Comfort Hosts U.S. Ambassador to Trinidad and Tobago Navy NewsStand 20 Sep 2007 -- The U.S. ambassador to Trinidad and Tobago toured hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20) Sept. 19 during the ship's humanitarian mission to Port-of-Spain.
- Comfort Provides Medical Care at School Navy NewsStand 20 Sep 2007 -- Personnel from hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20) provided medical care to local citizens of Port-of-Spain at the Moulton Hall Methodist Primary School, Sept. 19.
- Army Commemorates 1957 Little Rock Deployment, Part Two Army News 20 Sep 2007 -- Fifty years ago the 101st Airborne Division entered Little Rock, Ark., on orders of the president of the United States. The mission: to uphold a Supreme Court ruling to integrate public schools.
- Baku Says Radar Issue Should Be Decided By Experts RFE/RL 20 Sep 2007 -- Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov says Baku is willing to collaborate with the United States and Russia to provide joint usage of the Qabala (Gabala) radar station.
- Russia: NGO Says Up To 3,000 Soldiers Die In Noncombat Deaths Every Year RFE/RL 20 Sep 2007 -- A rights group says that up to 3,000 Russian soldiers lose their lives in noncombat situations every year.
- Russian Bear bombers fly along Alaskan, Canadian coastline RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2007 -- Two Russian strategic Tu-95MS Bear-H bombers carried out a flight along the coasts of Alaska and Canada during recent command and post exercises, the Russian Air Force announced Thursday.
- Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 20 Sep 2007
- DoD News: Contracts for September 20, 2007
- SAIC Completes U.S. Army Stryker Trainer Order SAIC 20 Sep 2007 -- Science Applications International Corporation (NYSE: SAI) has delivered the last of nine Stryker Variants of the Common Driver Trainer (CDT/SV) to the U.S. Army.
- Eurocopter hands over 600th aircraft of its top-selling EC135 helicopter EADS 20 Sep 2007 -- After its market introduction in 1996, the EC135 quickly did not only turn into an unrivalled commercial success in the light, twin-engine helicopter segment, but also proved to perfectly cover a vast variety of mission requirements, due to its flexibility, exceptional manoeuvrability, an unchallenged 98 percent availability, its customer-friendly maintenance schedules and environmental compatibility
- Boeing Supports New U.S. Air Force GPS Ground Control System Boeing 20 Sep 2007 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] has successfully assisted the U.S. Air Force in deploying a new ground control system that will enhance the operation of 32 Global Positioning System (GPS) satellites currently in orbit.
- Successful U.S. Navy Acceptance Trials Position Northrop Grumman-Built Mesa Verde (LPD 19) Toward Delivery and December Commissioning Northrop Grumman 20 Sep 2007 -- The Northrop Grumman (NYSE:NOC)-built amphibious transport dock ship Mesa Verde (LPD 19) successfully maneuvered the Gulf of Mexico waters last week, demonstrating her unique capabilities to the U.S. Navy.
- Boeing Awarded $49.2 Million Contract to Upgrade Saudi AWACS Fleet Boeing 20 Sep 2007 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] has been awarded a $49.2 million contract, including options, to upgrade communications aboard Saudi Arabia's fleet of five E-3 Airborne Warning and Control System (AWACS) aircraft.
- Boeing Announces Completion of Sea-Based Radar's Mooring System Boeing 20 Sep 2007 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] today announced that the Sea-Based X-Band Radar (SBX) mooring system has been installed at SBX's homeport in Alaska, completing a key piece of infrastructure for the missile defense sensor.
- U.S. Army Awards T700 Upgrade Contract GE Aviation 20 Sep 2007 -- The U.S. Army has awarded GE Aviation a contract valued at $30 million to support an increase in T700-701D engine upgrades at the Corpus Christi Army Depot (CCAD). This contract helps ensure the continuation of a UH-60 Black Hawk and AH-64 Apache helicopter fleet-wide T700 engine upgrade program that could ultimately involve more than 5,000 engines.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICES OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL AND THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY PRESIDENT United Nations 20 Sep 2007
- PRESS CONFERENCE BY INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT PROSECUTOR ON DARFUR United Nations 20 Sep 2007
- PRESS CONFERENCE BY COALITION FOR INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT ON DARFUR WAR CRIMES United Nations 20 Sep 2007
- Top US Envoy to Sudan Sees Progress in Darfur VOA 20 Sep 2007 -- President Bush's special envoy to Sudan says he is guardedly optimistic ahead of next month's U.N.-backed peace talks in the troubled region of Darfur
- ISRAEL-OPT: Aid groups, UN protest Israeli sanctions move on Gaza IRIN 20 Sep 2007 -- An Israeli cabinet decision on 19 September, which declared the Gaza Strip a "hostile entity" and which would allow the state to cut fuel and electricity supplies to the enclave, has been immediately condemned by aid and human rights organisations.
- Rice Meets with Palestinian President in West Bank VOA 20 Sep 2007 -- U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is winding up a two-day peace mission to the Middle East
- US Backs Arab-African Force for Somalia Peacekeeping VOA 20 Sep 2007 -- Two senior U.S. officials in East Africa say the situation in Somalia is improving despite continued violence
- Rice Says US-Sponsored Mideast Conference Must Be 'Substantive' VOA 20 Sep 2007 -- U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice says an upcoming Mideast peace conference must be "substantive" and advance the cause of Palestinian statehood.
- UN Peacebuilding Commission calls on Burundian rebels to re-engage with Government UN News Centre 20 Sep 2007 -- The United Nations Peacebuilding Commission has called on the last major rebel hold-out group in Burundi to "resume promptly without condition" its participation in efforts to finally close the chapter on years of ethnic violence in the small Central African country.
- Extending UN mission in Liberia, Security Council approves troop drawdown UN News Centre 20 Sep 2007 -- Recognizing the continuing challenges Liberia faces as it seeks to rebuild after a 14-year civil war, the Security Council today extended the mandate of the United Nations mission in the country while endorsing Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon's call for the drawdown of the level of blue helmets there.
- UGANDA: Optimism in Karamoja despite lingering security concerns IRIN 20 Sep 2007 -- A semi-arid region where livestock and violence have long been central concerns for the million people that live there, Karamoja in northeastern Uganda has started to stabilise, aid workers say.
- Lebanon Reacts to Yet Another Political Assassination VOA 20 Sep 2007 -- Stores, banks and some government offices were closed in many parts of Beirut to mourn the slaying of Christian member of parliament Antoine Ghanem in a car bomb explosion, Wednesday
- LEBANON: All to lose and much to gain in divisive presidential election IRIN 20 Sep 2007
- PAKISTAN: Illegal arms threaten peace across troubled NWFP IRIN 20 Sep 2007
- Pakistan's Presidential Election Scheduled Despite Court Challenges to Musharraf Candidacy VOA 20 Sep 2007 -- Pakistan's Election Commission says the presidential election will take place on October 6, despite legal challenges to President Pervez Musharraf's re-election bid
- YEMEN: Moves afoot to reduce number of fire-arms in cities IRIN 20 Sep 2007
- Russian scientists claim 1.2 mln sq km of Arctic territory RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2007 -- Preliminary research results released by Russian scientists are allowing the country to claim 1.2 million sq km of potentially energy-rich Arctic territory, the Natural Resources Ministry said Thursday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|