18 September 2007 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 18 Sep 2007 [PDF]
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Task Force Lightning Soldiers attacked
- Task Force Lightning Soldier dies in non-combat related incident
- Interview Transcript, Col. David Sutherland, September 18, 2007 MNF-I 18 Sep 2007
- Sept. 17 airpower summary: Maintainers keep them flying AFPN 18 Sep 2007 -- Coalition airpower supported coalition ground forces in Iraq and International Security Assistance Force troops in Afghanistan during operations Sept. 17, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- Coalition Forces Kill, Detain al Qaeda Terrorists in Iraq AFPS 18 Sep 2007 -- Coalition forces killed three terrorists and detained 16 suspected terrorists during multiple operations today targeting key al Qaeda operatives and mid-level leaders in Iraq's Tigris River Valley.
- Marne Husky ends with capture of insurgent MNF-I 18 Sep 2007 -- During the final air assault of Operation Marne Husky, Soldiers detained an insurgent and discovered bomb-making materials along the western bank of the Tigris, 20 miles south of Baghdad, in the predawn hours of Sept. 15.
- Militants Killed, Captured in Afghanistan Operations AFPS 18 Sep 2007 -- Several suspected militants were killed and four others were detained today during an operation by Afghan and coalition forces in Afghanistan's Ghazni province.
- U.S. Praises Afghan Poppy Progress, Urges More Effort RFE/RL 18 Sep 2007 -- The United States says Afghanistan has made some gains in its fight against the cultivation of opium poppies.
- AFGHANISTAN: Returnees shun specially allocated housing sites IRIN 18 Sep 2007 -- Only 19 out of 1,700 returning families from Iran and Pakistan have settled on land in Herat Province, western Afghanistan, allocated to them over a year ago.
Defense Policy / Programs
- DoD Permanently Discontinues Procurement Of Global Positioning System Selective Availability 18 Sep 2007 -- The Department of Defense announced today that it intends to stop procuring Global Positioning System (GPS) satellites with the capability to intentionally degrade the accuracy of civil signals.
- Air Force celebrates 60 years AFPN 18 Sep 2007 -- A lineup of top military officials, musical entertainment and the chance to meet those who made early Air Force history drew representatives from each service to the Air Force's 60th anniversary celebration Sept. 18 in the Pentagon courtyard.
- Aviano F-16 crashes in Italy AFPN 18 Sep 2007 -- An Aviano Air Base pilot successfully ejected from an F-16 Fighting Falcon while on a routine training mission Sept. 18 here.
- Strike Force Training Atlantic Holds Change of Command Navy NewsStand 18 Sep 2007 -- Rear Adm. Donald P. Quinn took the reigns from Rear Adm. Richard J. O'Hanlon as Commander, Strike Force Training Atlantic (CSFTL) in a change of command ceremony at Naval Station Norfolk, Sept. 13.
- Chairman salutes Air Force on 60th anniversary AFPN 18 Sep 2007 -- Gen. Peter Pace, the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, sends his greetings to all Airmen on the 60th anniversary of the U.S. Air Force.
- Air Force to merge equal opportunity organizations AFPN 18 Sep 2007 -- The military equal opportunity and equal employment opportunity offices will merge January 2008, Air Force officials here announced recently.
- Department of Defense Garners Awards for Ozone Sustainment 18 Sep 2007 -- The U.S. Department of Defense and individual military services are being honored with multiple awards from the United Nations Environmental Programme and by the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency for advancements in ozone sustainment
- Guantanamo Much Changed Since Terror Attacks on US VOA 18 Sep 2007 -- The U.S. military prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba is surrounded by controversy
- Azerbaijan: U.S. Experts Visit Qabala Radar RFE/RL 18 Sep 2007 -- U.S. military experts have visited the Russian-operated Qabala (Gabala) radar station in Azerbaijan, which Moscow has offered to share with the United States to counter rogue missile threats.
- Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 18 Sep 2007
- Press Briefing by Dana Perino The White House 18 Sep 2007
- DoD News: Contracts for September 18, 2007
- Unique Strategic Agreement signed between UK Government and EADS EADS 18 Sep 2007 -- EADS is set to commit to a long-term strategic arrangement with the British Government which acknowledges the company's contributions at the heart of the UK's advanced technology industrial base
- ATK Selected for Prompt Global Strike Study ATK 18 Sep 2007 -- Alliant Techsystems (NYSE: ATK) has been selected to support the U.S. Air Force's Conventional Ballistic Missile Prompt Global Strike (PGS) efforts.
- Northrop Grumman Demonstrates Common Data Link Interoperability of Modular Integrated Link Electronics System for Navy Northrop Grumman 18 Sep 2007 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) successfully demonstrated live Common Data Link (CDL) operations using the Modular Integrated Link Electronics System (MILES) at the Naval Air Warfare Center, Patuxent River, Md.
- ATK Delivers TacSat-3 Spacecraft Bus for Integration and Test by the U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory ATK 18 Sep 2007 -- Alliant Techsystems (NYSE: ATK) announced today that it has delivered the Department of Defense's Tactical Satellite 3 Spacecraft Bus (TacSat-3) to the U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) for final integration and test.
- Northrop Grumman Demonstrates Advanced Targeting Information Transfer Northrop Grumman 18 Sep 2007 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) successfully demonstrated an advanced targeting data link using the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency's (DARPA) Quint Network Technology (QNT).
- Thales Launches New U.S. Initiative C4ISR Portfolio Expanded Thales 18 Sep 2007 -- A wide range of C4ISR domain technologies, including optronics, will now be marketed and supported in the U.S. through an expansion of the Thales Communications organization.
- PRESS CONFERENCE BY GENERAL ASSEMBLY PRESIDENT United Nations 18 Sep 2007
- Ex-General Assembly president becomes first private donor to Peacebuilding Fund UN News Centre 18 Sep 2007 -- The former General Assembly President Sheikha Haya Rashed Al Khalifa has become the first individual donor to the United Nations Peacebuilding Fund, set up last year to help countries emerging from conflict consolidate their gains and not slide back into war.
- Secretary-General Urges Sudan to Commit to Cease-fire VOA 18 Sep 2007 -- U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon has urged Sudan's president to commit to a cease-fire in Darfur and protect humanitarian workers there
- SUDAN: Thousands more flee violence in Darfur - UN IRIN 18 Sep 2007 -- Violence in Sudan's remote western region of Darfur has forced nearly a quarter of a million people to flee their homes this year, increasing the pressure on the humanitarian effort, the United Nations said in a report.
- Rice to discuss Mideast conference with Israel, Palestinians RIA Novosti 18 Sep 2007 -- U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice will start on Tuesday a two-day visit to Jerusalem and the West Bank to prepare for a Washington-proposed international conference on the Middle East.
- US Secretary of State Heads to Middle East VOA 18 Sep 2007 -- U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is embarking Tuesday on a two-day visit to Israel and the Palestinian territories
- SOMALIA: Families flee violence in Sool region IRIN 18 Sep 2007 -- Scores of families have fled their homes following a clash between forces from the self-declared republic of Somaliland and the autonomous region of Puntland in Somalia.
- New UN envoy for Somalia arrives in region, urging efforts to rebuild country UN News Centre 18 Sep 2007 -- The new United Nations envoy for Somalia has arrived in the region with a call to the conflict-torn country's political, business and religious elite both at home and abroad to rebuild a nation that has not had a functioning central government for 16 years.
- Somali Radio Station Says Troops Fired on Headquarters VOA 18 Sep 2007 -- A Somali radio station says government forces have opened fire on its headquarters after surrounding the building for the second time in four days.
- Sri Lankan security forces to crush Tigers before political deal IRNA 18 Sep 2007 -- Sri Lanka has vowed to crush Tamil Tiger guerrillas before any political settlement with the island's drawn out Tamil separatist conflict.
- NEPAL: Violence in south threatens November elections IRIN 18 Sep 2007 -- Political parties and top government officials have called for calm amid concerns over increasing violence and tensions in Nepal's agricultural and industrial heartland, the lowland Terai region of southern Nepal.
- Kosovo unilateral independence could cause chain reaction-Lavrov RIA Novosti 18 Sep 2007 -- If Albanian-dominated Kosovo proclaims independence from Serbia, a chain reaction could be set in motion around the globe, Russia's foreign minister said Tuesday.
- Maoists Quit Nepal's Interim Government VOA 18 Sep 2007 -- Nepal's Maoists have made good on their threat to quit the interim government.
- UN-backed project to boost safety, security in vital Malacca shipping lane UN News Centre 18 Sep 2007 -- The navigational safety, security and environmental protection of the Straits of Malacca, one of the world's most important shipping lanes in a region rife with piracy and fears of terrorism, are set to be enhanced by the first-ever type of cooperative mechanism envisaged by the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea.
- Second U.S. Tsunami-Detection System To Launch in Indian Ocean Washington File 18 Sep 2007 -- A second tsunami-detection system for the Indian Ocean will launch from Jakarta, Indonesia, September 19, part of the $1 billion U.S. recovery, restoration and technical contribution to the region after the 9.1-magnitude earthquake and tsunami that devastated the area in 2004.
- Hundreds of Buddhist Monks Protest Burmese Military VOA 18 Sep 2007 -- Hundreds of Buddhist monks have taken to the streets of Burma's main city, Rangoon - the latest in a wave of demonstrations against the military government during the past month
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|