09 September 2007 Military News
- Non-combat-related death
- Press Briefing, September 9, 2007 MNF-I 09 Sep 2007 -- TOPIC: WEEKLY GOI AND MNF-I OPERATIONAL UPDATE
- Sept. 8 airpower summary: C-130s deliver cargo, warfighters AFPN 09 Sep 2007 -- Coalition airpower supported coalition ground forces in Iraq and the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan during operations Sept. 8, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- Coalition, Iraqi Forces Maintain Initiative in Shutting Down al Qaeda AFPS 09 Sep 2007 -- Al Qaeda sanctuaries are continuing to be eliminated or severely restricted as Iraqi and coalition forces maintain the initiative in keeping pressure on terrorists groups, a Multinational Force Iraq spokesman said today.
- Coalition Forces Target al Qaeda in Iraq's Tigris River Valley AFPS 09 Sep 2007 -- Coalition forces killed six terrorists and detained 21 suspects during operations over the past two days in Iraq's Tarmiyah area and Tigris River Valley to disrupt al Qaeda senior leadership.
- USS Typhoon Assists Distressed Mariners Navy NewsStand 09 Sep 2007 -- Coalition forces provided assistance to seven mariners floating adrift in a life raft in the Persian Gulf Sept. 7.
- Forces Kill 30 Militants, Find Weapons Caches in Afghanistan AFPS 09 Sep 2007 -- Afghan and coalition forces killed more than 30 suspected militants during an operation yesterday in Afghanistan's Helmand province.
- AFGHANISTAN: Canadians and Kandaharis differ on security and development IRIN 09 Sep 2007 -- Insecurity in southern Afghanistan, particularly in the volatile province of Kandahar, is a major obstacle for humanitarian and development work in the area, aid workers and officials say
- Karzai Reiterates Offer To Talk With Militants RFE/RL 09 Sep 2007 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai has reiterated his willingness to negotiate with the Taliban and other militants.
- UN Report Says Suicide Bombings on Rise in Afghanistan VOA 09 Sep 2007 -- A United Nations report says the number of suicide bombings in Afghanistan is rising fast and would this year likely reach a record high
Defense Policy / Programs
- Hurlburt Field MH-53 crashes AFPN 09 Sep 2007 -- Two people were injured and five were unhurt when an MH-53 Pave Low helicopter from Hurlburt Field made a hard landing at approximately 11:45 p.m. Sept. 7 near Duke Field, Fla.
- Whidbey Island Navy Flying Club Receives a New "Taildragger" Navy NewsStand 09 Sep 2007 -- The Naval Air Station (NAS) Whidbey Island Navy Flying Club received a new American Champion 7ECA Citabria "taildragger" aircraft Aug. 29.
- USS Klakring Holds Change of COmmand Ceremony Navy NewsStand 09 Sep 2007 -- USS Klakring (FFG 42) held its thirteenth change of command ceremony Aug. 20, in port Vasco Nunez de Balboa, Panama, five months into a scheduled six month Counter-Narco Terrorism (CNT) deployment.
- VRT Keeps USS Reagan Flight Deck Battle Ready Navy NewsStand 09 Sep 2007 -- Keeping the flight deck of the USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76), in top operating condition to meet the challenges of the 21st century is the job of Fleet Readiness Center Southwest's (FRCSW) Voyage Repair Team (VRT).
- ISRAEL-OPT: Israeli settlements in Hebron make life nearly impossible, Palestinians say IRIN 09 Sep 2007 -- Israeli policy in Hebron city centre has led thousands of Palestinians to leave their homes and some 1,829 businesses have been shut down since 1994, a report by the Israeli human rights organisations B'Tselem and the Association for Civil Rights has charged.
- Ban Ki-moon urges Darfur parties to foster positive climate for peace talks UN News Centre 09 Sep 2007 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today in Libya called on all parties to the conflict in the Sudanese region of Darfur to create a climate conducive to successful peace negotiations to be held next month in Tripoli.
- UN Secretary-General Says Failure in Darfur Not an Option VOA 09 Sep 2007 -- U.N. Secretary-General, Ban Ki-moon says failure to achieve peace in Sudan's conflict-ridden province of Darfur in not an option
- Palestinians Observe Strike Called by Fatah in Hamas-Ruled Gaza VOA 09 Sep 2007 -- Palestinians in the Gaza Strip have observed a one-day general strike called by Fatah leaders in defiance of the territory's Hamas rulers.
- US Official Urges Greater African Involvement in Somalia Peace Efforts VOA 09 Sep 2007 -- Washington's top diplomat on African issues says regional leaders must do more to ease simmering tensions in the Horn of Africa
- DRC And Nkunda Have Agreed On a Fragile Cease-Fire VOA 09 Sep 2007 -- After days of heavy fighting between the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and renegade General Laurent Nkunda, the two sides reached an agreement on Thursday (9-6-07) to observe a cease-fire
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|