03 September 2007 Military News
- Soldier attacked during combat logistics patrol
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Transcript: DoD News Briefing with Secretary Gates, Stephen Hadley and Lt. Gen. Lute from Al Asad Air Base, Iraq 03 Sep 2007 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, National Security Advisor Stephen Hadley and Assistant to the President and Deputy National Security Advisor Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute
- Sept. 2 airpower summary: A-10s provide show of force AFPN 03 Sep 2007 -- Coalition airpower supported coalition ground forces in Iraq and International Security Assistance Force troops in Afghanistan during operations Sept. 2, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- Iraqi, U.S. Forces Detain Militant Extremist Leader AFPS 03 Sep 2007 -- Iraqi security forces detained a militant extremist leader and one of his subordinate leaders during an early morning raid yesterday in southern Babil Province, military officials reported.
- Taliban threatens to attack embassy if S. Korea breaks pledge RIA Novosti 03 Sep 2007 -- The Taliban warned it would attack South Korea's embassy in Kabul if Seoul is found to have broken its promise to remove all its citizens from Afghanistan, Yonhap news agency reported Monday.
- Afghan, Coalition Forces Kill 25 Insurgents, Discover Weapons Cache AFPS 03 Sep 2007 -- Afghan national security forces, advised by coalition soldiers, conducted a cordon and search operation of an insurgent headquarters southwest of Kandahar City yesterday leading to the deaths of 25 insurgents and the discovery of a weapons cache.
- AFGHANISTAN-PAKISTAN: Jalozai refugee camp wins temporary reprieve IRIN 03 Sep 2007 -- Thousands of Afghans living in Pakistan's largest refugee camp have won a temporary reprieve after an official closure date set by Islamabad was postponed by about six months.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Wasp Supports FA PANAMAX with Boarding Exercise Navy NewsStand 03 Sep 2007 -- The U.S. and French navies teamed-up Sept. 2 to hone ship boarding skills and enhance interoperability, while participating in the multi-national Exercise Fuerzas Alidas (FA) PANAMAX 2007, off the coast of Panama in the Caribbean.
- China to Declare Defense Spending, Arms Sales to UN VOA 03 Sep 2007 -- The Chinese government says it will declare its annual defense spending and arms sales to the United Nations to ease concerns about transparency in its military build-up.
- First flight tests with the EADS obstacle warning system for NH90 successful EADS 03 Sep 2007 -- EADS Defence & Security has successfully tested the military version of the HELLAS (helicopter laser radar) obstacle warning system in flight
- Exclusive Cooperation Agreement between Converteam and DCNS for the development of a new generation POD (INOVELIS™) DCNS 03 Sep 2007 -- Converteam, the international developer of systems and customized solutions for the conversion of electrical energy and DCNS, Europe's leading player on the world market for naval defense systems, are pleased to announce that they have entered into a cooperation agreement to jointly develop a new generation POD called INOVELIS™.
- DRC: Concern as violence causes more displacement in North Kivu IRIN 03 Sep 2007 -- The UN Refugee Agency has expressed concern over the plight of thousands of civilians forced to flee worsening tension and fighting in North Kivu province of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
- SUDAN: Ban to push for peace in Darfur IRIN 03 Sep 2007 -- The visit to Sudan by the UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon will focus on the search for lasting peace in the Darfur region and encourage progress on the north-south peace deal, a senior humanitarian worker said.
- Leader of Fatah al-Islam reported killed in refugee camp battle RIA Novosti 03 Sep 2007 -- Shaker al-Abssi, the leader of militant Islamist group Fatah al-Islam, is reported to have been killed by Lebanese troops in a fierce gunbattle in a Palestinian refugee camp in north Lebanon Sunday.
- Lebanese Army Mops Up Insurgents at Tripoli Refugee Camp VOA 03 Sep 2007 -- Authorities in Lebanon say they have identified the body of Chaker al Abssi, the leader of the Palestinian Fatah al-Islam group, that has been holed up inside a Tripoli refugee camp
- Obscure Groups Claim Responsibility for Nepal Bombings VOA 03 Sep 2007 -- Two ethnic groups from southern Nepal are claiming responsibility for Sunday's deadly bombings in the Himalayan nation's capital
- Bush Heads to Australia Following Iraq Stop VOA 03 Sep 2007 -- President Bush is on his way to Australia for the annual summit of Asia-Pacific nations following an unannounced stop in Iraq where he held talks with Iraqi officials and U.S. military commanders
- Burma Ends 14-Year Process on Drafting New Constitution VOA 03 Sep 2007 -- Burma's military-appointed National Convention has concluded a 14-year process on drafting guidelines for a new constitution and a possible return to civilian rule
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|