15 July 2007 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- July 14 airpower summary: C-130s provide key airlift support AFPN 15 Jul 2007 -- Coalition airpower supported coalition ground forces in Iraq and International Security Assistance Force troops in Afghanistan during operations July 14, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- Iraq Raids Net Terrorists, Weapons; Sheiks, U.S. Leaders Meet AFPS 15 Jul 2007 -- Thirteen suspected al Qaeda operatives were captured during Iraq operations yesterday and today.
- Operation Eagle Ares brings 46 into custody MNF-I 15 Jul 2007 -- Iraqi and U.S. Soldiers nabbed 46 men suspected of involvement with al Qaeda affiliated terror networks July 12 under the cover of darkness, east of Lutifiyah, Iraq.
- AFGHANISTAN: War and lack of commitment hinder transitional justice IRIN 15 Jul 2007 -- More than 18 months after its adoption in The Hague, the Netherlands, and seven months after its formal launch, the Action Plan for Truth, Justice and Reconciliation (APTJR) in war-torn Afghanistan has been hindered by lack of political commitment and armed conflict, UN and Afghan officials told IRIN.
- UN's Afghanistan mission opens new office in central province of Ghor UN News Centre 15 Jul 2007 -- The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) has opened a new office in the central province of Ghor, where staff will help local communities with development, humanitarian efforts, human rights, good governance and the rule of law.
- Nine Suspected Militants Detained in Afghanistan AFPS 15 Jul 2007 -- Afghan and coalition forces captured nine extremists today during a joint operation in Nangarhar province, Afghanistan, officials reported.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Gorbachev: Russia's Suspension of Arms Treaty Justified VOA 15 Jul 2007 -- Former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev says Russia's decision to suspend participation in a major European arms treaty is an "absolutely logical" move.
- Tripoli Conference Seeks Peace for Darfur VOA 15 Jul 2007 -- The United Nations and the African Union are meeting in Libya to discuss how to advance peace talks for Sudan's Darfur region.
- Somali Reconciliation Conference Postponed After Mortar Explosions VOA 15 Jul 2007 -- A conference aimed at bringing peace to Somalia opened briefly Sunday, but was immediately adjourned after some delegates did not arrive and mortars exploded near the venue.
- Shimon Peres Sworn In as Israel's President VOA 15 Jul 2007 -- Israel's elder statesman, Shimon Peres, 83, was sworn in Sunday as his country's ninth president, a largely ceremonial post that has come under a cloud of scandal in recent years
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|