06 April 2007 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Task Force Lightning Soldiers attacked
- Task Force Lightning Soldiers engaged by gunfire
- Transcript: DoD News Briefing with Col. Funk from Iraq 06 Apr 2007 -- Presenter: Commander,1st Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, Col. Paul Funk
- April 6 airpower summary: B-1Bs aid ground forces AFPN 06 Apr 2007 -- U.S. Central Command Air Forces officials have released the following airpower summary
- Guard Brigades to Receive Alert for Iraq Deployment AFPS 06 Apr 2007 -- About 13,000 National Guardsmen will be alerted for possible deployment to Iraq in fiscal 2008, a senior defense official said on background today.
- Truck Bomber Releases Chlorine Gas in Western Iraqi Town VOA 06 Apr 2007 -- Iraqi officials say a suicide bomber has detonated a truck filled with explosives and chlorine gas near the western Iraqi city of Ramadi
- Coalition Forces and Elements of Iraq Army's 7th Division launch Operation Harris Ba'sil MNF-I 06 Apr 2007 -- Marines, Soldiers and Sailors from Regimental Combat Team 2, including elements of the Iraqi Army's 2nd and 3rd Brigades of the 7th Division, launched Operation Harris Ba'sil (Valiant Guardian) on March 26, to interdict and disrupt enemy routes and safe havens outside of the Euphrates River Valley.
- Operation Black Eagle begins in Ad Diwaniyah MNF-I 06 Apr 2007 -- Iraqi Army troops swept into the city in the early morning hours April 6 to disrupt militia activity and return security and stability here back to the government of Iraq.
- British Service Personnel Describe Ordeal RFE/RL 06 Apr 2007 -- The British navy personnel recently released by Iran have said categorically that they were not in Iranian waters when they were captured on March 23.
- British Navy To Review Naval Crew's Seizure RFE/RL 06 Apr 2007 -- The British Royal Navy has begun a review of the circumstances leading to the capture of 15 of its service personnel by Iran.
- U.K. sailors say they were placed under pressure by Iranians RIA Novosti 06 Apr 2007 -- British sailors and marines released from Iranian captivity Wednesday insisted Friday they had been detained in Iraqi territorial waters, saying they had been put under "constant psychological pressure."
- Afghan National Police Repel Taliban Attack AFPS 06 Apr 2007 -- Two Afghan National Policemen were wounded today by small-arms fire during an attack on their patrol in Nahr Surkh District, Helmand province, but the Afghan police repelled the attack, officials said.
- Kabul Suicide Bomber Kills Seven RFE/RL 06 Apr 2007 -- Police in Afghanistan say at least seven people were killed in a suicide bombing in Kabul.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Successful Missile Defense Intercept Test Takes Place Off Hawaii MDA 04 Apr 2007 -- Lieutenant General Henry "Trey" Obering, Missile Defense Agency director, announced today the completion of a successful intercept test for the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) ballistic missile defense element at the Pacific Missile Range Facility off the island of Kauai in Hawaii
- DoD Announces Certification Of WMD-CST For District Of Columbia 06 Apr 2007 -- The Department of Defense (DoD) notified Congress today that the Weapons of Mass Destruction Civil Support Team (WMD-CST) of the District of Columbia National Guard is now certified.
- Farewell Message from Gen. Peter J. Schoomaker Army News 06 Apr 2007 -- The following is a farewell message to the Army from Gen. Peter J. Schoomaker, the 35th chief of staff of the Army.
- New combat squadron stands up at Little Rock AFPN 06 Apr 2007 -- The 41st Airlift Squadron became the newest unit of the 463rd Airlift Group at Little Rock Air Force Base in a ceremony April 6 as well as being named the first active-duty combat C-130J Hercules squadron in the Air Force.
- Guam B-52s evacuate to Fairchild in wake of typhoon AFPN 06 Apr 2007 -- Aircrews and six B-52 Stratofortress bombers from Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, arrived here April 1 seeking refuge from Typhoon Kong-Rey, which ripped through the Western Pacific April 2.
- Incirlik Airmen practice emergency response AFPN 06 Apr 2007 -- A simulated 6.2 earthquake shook Incirlik Air Base April 2 causing casualties and destruction, and base Airmen rushed into action.
- CNIC Prepares for Upcoming Hurricane Season Navy NewsStand 06 Apr 2007 -- Hurricane Season, which begins on June 1 and runs until Nov. 30, is once again approaching and the need for accountability and safety of personnel is a Commander, Navy Installations Command (CNIC) top priority.
- Carl Vinson Earns the 2006 Admiral Vern Clark Safety Award Navy NewsStand 06 Apr 2007 -- The aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) "Gold Eagle" was awarded the 2006 Admiral Vern Clark Safety award during a ceremony in Washington D.C., April 3.
- Essex ARG, 31st MEU Make Simultaneous Visits to Korean Ports Navy NewsStand 06 Apr 2007 -- Essex Amphibious Ready Group (ESXARG) ships USS Essex (LHD 2) and USS Juneau (LPD 10) arrived in Busan and USS Tortuga (LSD 46) pulled into Chinhae on April 4 for scheduled port visits following the conclusion of Foal Eagle (FE) 2007.
- USS Samuel B. Roberts Makes Port Call to Martinique Navy NewsStand 06 Apr 2007 -- Sailors from USS Samuel B. Roberts (FFG 58) "Sammy B" and embarked helicopter detachment, Helicopter Anti-submarine Squadron Light (HSL) 48, arrived in the Port de France Martinique on April 3, for the first port visit of the ship's Partnership of the Americas (POA) 2007 deployment to South America.
- U.S., ROK Navies Complete Successful, Robust RSOI/Foal Eagle 2007 Navy NewsStand 06 Apr 2007 -- Service members attached to the U.S. 7th Fleet and Republic of Korea (ROK) Combined Forces Command proved their joint/combined abilities to defend the peninsula would be successful based on their efforts during the annually scheduled combined and joint Exercise Reception, Staging, Onward movement, & Integration and Foal Eagle 2007 (RSOI/FOAL EAGLE 07), from March 25 to 31.
- Carney Sailors Improve Lives in Antigua Navy NewsStand 06 Apr 2007 -- Sailors from USS Carney (DDG 64) recently completed three community relations (COMREL) projects during a port visit to Antigua March 27-29.
- USS Rodney M. Davis Preps for Last of Deployment Navy NewsStand 06 Apr 2007 -- USS Rodney M. Davis (FFG-60), based in Everett, Wash., completed their mid-deployment continuous maintenance availability (CMAV) while in port Mayport, Fla., in late March.
- Marine University Promotes Professional Military Education Washington File 06 Apr 2007 -- With security challenges growing rapidly in every region of the world, one of the U.S. Marine Corps' premier learning centers is preparing its U.S. and foreign students for two realities -- today and well into the future -- says Marine Corps University President Donald Gardner.
- Army Guard Helicopters Primed for Southwest Border Duty Army News 06 Apr 2007 -- The first of three-dozen upgraded and overhauled OH-58 Kiowa helicopters are scheduled to arrive on the U.S. border with Mexico this month to boost the National Guard's support to the U.S. Border Patrol in Operation Jump Start.
- DoD News: Contracts for April 06, 2007
- BAE SYSTEMS SEEKER DETECTS MISSILE TARGET IN THAAD WEAPON SYSTEM TEST BAE Systems 06 Apr 2007 -- BAE Systems' infrared seeker for the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) weapon system helped guide the THAAD interceptor to a successful intercept of an incoming ballistic missile target at an April 6 test firing at the Pacific Missile Range facility
- NetFires LLC Precision Attack Missile Launch Paves the Way for Complete System Testing Raytheon 06 Apr 2007 -- NetFires LLC, a joint venture between Raytheon Company's (NYSE: RTN) Missile Systems business and Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT) Missiles and Fire Control, successfully launched a Non Line-of-Sight-Launch System Precision Attack Missile April 4 at White Sands Missile Range, N.M., taking the missile system a significant step toward full- up missile testing planned for later this year.
- THAAD WEAPON SYSTEM SUCCESSFULLY INTERCEPTS TARGET IN SECOND PACIFIC RANGE TEST Lockheed Martin 06 Apr 2007 -- The U.S. Missile Defense Agency and Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] conducted another successful flight test of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) weapon system today, intercepting a unitary target in THAAD's second flight test at the Pacific Missile Range Facility (PMRF) on Kauai, HI
- SUDAN: Landmines continue to plague the south IRIN 06 Apr 2007 -- A demonstration to show how sniffer dogs are used to find landmines was underway while Cosmos Abolou explained the use of artificial limbs to delegates attending World Mine Action Day on Wednesday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|