22 January 2007 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 22 Jan 2007 [PDF]
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Two Marines killed in separate incidents in Al Anbar
- DoD Identifies Marine Casualties
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- CENTAF releases airpower summary for Jan. 22 AFPN 22 Jan 2007 -- U.S. Central Command Air Forces officials have released the airpower summary for Jan. 22.
- A-10s set to soar in Al Anbar province AFPN 22 Jan 2007 -- A-10 Thunderbolt IIs assigned to the 438th Air Expeditionary Group landed one by one at their new home Jan. 17 here.
- Baghdad Square Targeted With Car Bombs; IED Kills Iraqi Children, Troops AFPS 22 Jan 2007 -- Two car bombs detonated at a Baghdad market today, killing and injuring dozens of civilians, U.S. military officials reported.
- 82nd Airborne's 2nd BCT Steps Up Security in Baghdad Army News 22 Jan 2007 -- The 82nd Airborne Division's 2nd Brigade Combat Team arrived in Baghdad last week as part of the first wave of a planned escalation of forces in Iraq's capital city.
- Double Car Bombing in Central Baghdad Market Kills 88 VOA 22 Jan 2007 -- Two car bombs in Baghdad have killed more than 88 people and wounded more than 160 others
- Double Car Bombing in Central Baghdad Market Kills 75 VOA 22 Jan 2007 -- Iraqi officials say two nearly simultaneous car bomb blasts in a central Baghdad market have killed at least 75 people and wounded more than 150.
- More troops needed to defeat Taliban, warns British general IRNA 22 Jan 2007 -- The British commander of the 32,000-strong Nato forces in Afghanistan warned Monday that a year-long concerted military campaign with more troops was need to secure victory against the Taliban.
- Afghan Security Forces Make Impressive Professional Gains Washington File 22 Jan 2007 -- Defense Secretary Robert Gates, reviewing the training of the Afghan national army, recently said not only is he very impressed, but the army's progress exceeds U.S. expectations.
- NATO Commander Says More Forces Needed In Afghanistan RFE/RL 22 Jan 2007 -- NATO's top commander in Afghanistan says more troops are needed to fight Taliban insurgents and predicted victory could be just a year away.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is by David Isenberg Partnership for a Secure America 22 Jan 2007 -- If there is one thing that unites such disparate politicians, not to mention 2008 presidential contenders, as Hillary Clinton, John McCain, John Edwards, Bill Richardson, Chris Dodd, Joe Biden, Barack Obama, Sam Brownback, Mitt Romney, Tommy Thompson, and others it is this timeworn cliché, America should support its troops.
- Latest revision signed to space operations doctrine AFPN 22 Jan 2007 -- The Air Force chief of staff has approved the latest revision to Air Force Doctrine Document 2-2, Space Operations, outlining the operations of space power.
- Mission Package Training Environment Prepared for LCS Navy NewsStand 22 Jan 2007 -- The Navy's new Littoral Combat Ship (LCS), scheduled for delivery this year, will enjoy a replicated Mission Package Computing Environment (MPCE), a state-of-the-art system which will help Sailors train for real-world tasks aboard the cutting-edge platform.
- B-52 undergoes synthetic-fuel cold weather testing AFPN 23 Jan 2007 -- A B-52 Stratofortess powered by a mix of synthetic fuel arrived here Jan. 17 for cold-weather testing, the last step in the testing and certification process to help reduce Air Force dependence on imported fuel.
- USS Ohio Sailors Depart NBK for Historic Forward Deployed Crew Swap Navy NewsStand 22 Jan 2007 -- USS Ohio (SSGN 726) (Gold) Sailors departed Naval Base Kitsap (NBK), Bangor, Jan. 21, for Pearl Harbor, Hawaii to conduct a crew swap with USS Ohio (Blue) crew.
- USCGC Midgett Shares Law Enforcement Techniques with Djibouti Navy Navy NewsStand 22 Jan 2007 -- The boarding team of USCGC Midgett (WHEC 726) began two days of law enforcement training and professional exchanges with the Djibouti navy Jan. 13.
- HMS Campbeltown Visits Jeddah, Saudi Arabia Navy NewsStand 22 Jan 2007 -- Royal Navy Type frigate HMS Campbeltown visited Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, Jan. 21-22, to strengthen the relationship between the United Kingdom's Royal Navy and the Royal Saudi Naval Forces (RNSF).
- CVW-9 Joins Stennis for Deployment Navy NewsStand 22 Jan 2007 -- Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 9 began flying its aircraft aboard USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) Jan. 20, shortly after the ship left San Diego, Calif., for carrier qualifications off the coast of southern California.
- Service secretaries visit Guam to analyze joint basing status AFPN 22 Jan 2007 -- William C. Anderson, assistant secretary of the Air Force for installations, environment and logistics, and his Navy counterpart, B J Penn, traveled to Guam to analyze the status of joint basing and future Guam development.
- U.S. Air Forces in Europe Celebrates 65 Years of Airpower AFPS 22 Jan 2007 -- United States Air Forces in Europe is celebrating its 65th anniversary as the oldest, continuously active Air Force major command.
- Israel Appoints New Army Chief VOA 22 Jan 2007 -- Israel's government has selected a retired army veteran as chief of the Israeli Defense Forces, the country's top military post
- Russia set to offer MiG-35 fighters to India RIA Novosti 22 Jan 2007 -- Russian aircraft-maker MiG plans to showcase its newest MiG-35 fighter at an air show in India, and to join a tender on supplying fighters for the Indian Air Force, the company said Monday.
- Iran, Belarus ink MoU on defence cooperation IRNA 22 Jan 2007 -- Iran and Belarus here on Monday signed a memorandum of understanding on defense cooperation.
- Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 22 Jan 2007
- Press Briefing by Tony Snow The White House 22 Jan 2007
- DoD News: Contracts for January 22, 2007
- BAE SYSTEMS RECEIVES NATIONAL SECURITY AGENCY MODE 5 CERTIFICATION BAE Systems 22 Jan 2007 -- BAE Systems has received National Security Agency (NSA) Mode 5 certification for three of its identification friend or foe (IFF) products. BAE Systems is the first Department of Defense contractor to receive the certification.
- BAE SYSTEMS AWARDED TWO BRADLEY RESET CONTRACTS TOTALING $412 MILLION BAE Systems 22 Jan 2007 -- BAE Systems has received two contracts supporting the reset of Bradley Combat Systems, totaling $412 million, from the U.S. Army TACOM Life Cycle Management Command.
- CACI Awarded $24 Million Contract With Pacific Air Forces Air and Space Operations Center CACI 22 Jan 2007 -- CACI International Inc (NYSE:CAI) announced today that it has been awarded a $24 million, five-year prime contract (one base year, with four option years) by the Pacific Air Forces (PACAF) 15th Contracting Squadron.
- U.S. Army Awards Northrop Grumman Integrated DoD Biometrics System-of-Systems Enterprise Solution Contract Northrop Grumman 22 Jan 2007 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) has been awarded a contract by the General Services Administration, Federal Systems Integration and Management Center, for the U.S. Army PEO-EIS, to provide an integrated Department of Defense (DoD) biometrics system-of-systems enterprise solution that will integrate their worldwide biometrics efforts.
- Northrop Grumman Awarded Contract for Apache Helicopter Laser Rangefinder and Designator Northrop Grumman 22 Jan 2007 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) has received a contract from the U.S. Army to deliver 275 spare laser transceiver units (LTU) to be installed on the AH-64D Apache attack helicopter's target acquisition designation sight (TADS).
- Raytheon Awarded $29 Million Contract for Early Warning Radars Sustainment Raytheon 22 Jan 2007 -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) has been awarded a contract with a potential value of $29 million to provide sustainment support for the Upgraded Early Warning Radar and the Cobra Dane Upgrade.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 22 Jan 2007
- GUINEA-GUINEA-BISSAU: Fighters cross border IRIN 22 Jan 2007 -- Some 120 Guinea-Bissauan special forces have crossed into neighbouring Guinea where President Lansana Conte is facing an unprecedented popular uprising, a senior Bissau army officer said on Monday.
- GUINEA-BISSAU-SENEGAL: Senegalese seek refuge IRIN 22 Jan 2007 -- Senegalese refugees in Guinea-Bissau who had recently returned to their homes in Senegal's Casamance region on Monday were fleeing back across the border following four days of fighting.
- Watchdog Group Says Somalia Still Remains Hot Spot for Piracy VOA 22 Jan 2007 -- Piracy attacks are falling worldwide but hot spots remain, including in Somalia where the removal of the Islamic government set back efforts to curb the problem, a watchdog said Monday
- NEPAL: Landmines and explosives threaten fragile new peace IRIN 22 Jan 2007 -- Aid workers and experts warn that the increased freedom of movement given to people under the 2006 peace/arms agreements signed with the Maoists could put peoples' lives at risk as minefields and unexploded ordnance is yet to be removed.
- Palestinian Factions Continue Talks After No Agreement on Coalition VOA 22 Jan 2007 -- Leaders of the two main Palestinian factions say a new round of talks will begin on Tuesday aimed at creating a unity Palestinian government
- Reports Say Top Islamic Leader In Somalia Has Turned Himself In VOA 22 Jan 2007 -- One of the top leaders of the Somali Islamist movement is reportedly in U.S. and Kenyan custody in Nairobi, three weeks after Somali government and Ethiopian troops ousted the Islamic Courts Union from power
- Violence by Suspected Rebels Continues in India's Northeast VOA 22 Jan 2007 -- In India's northeastern state of Assam at least two people were killed and 18 others wounded in recent attacks mounted by separatist rebels
- Sri Lanka Military Says Rebels Forced Out of Key Regions VOA 22 Jan 2007 -- Sri Lanka's military says it is driving out Tamil Tiger rebels from key areas in the island's east, following intense fighting
- UN Assesses Return of Peacekeepers to Chad, CAR VOA 22 Jan 2007 -- A U.N. team has arrived in Chad to start its two-week peacekeeping assessment in Chad and the Central African Republic.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|