23 December 2006 Military News
- CENTAF releases airpower summary for Dec. 23 AFPN 23 Dec 2006 -- U.S. Central Command Air Forces officials have released the airpower summary for Dec. 23.
- Iraqi, Coalition Forces Capture 48 Suspected Terrorists in Two Days AFPS 23 Dec 2006 -- During the past two days, coalition and Iraqi forces detained 48 suspected terrorists and disabled three vehicles used to transport explosives, Multinational Corps Iraq officials reported today.
- Coalition Forces Kill Senior Taliban Leader AFPS 23 Dec 2006 -- A coalition air strike Dec. 19 in Afghanistan's Helmand province killed a senior member of the Taliban's inner circle, military officials reported today.
- Senior Taleban Leader Killed in Afghanistan VOA 23 Dec 2006 -- U.S.-led coalition forces say they have killed Mullah Akhtar Mohammad Osmani, a Taleban leader in southern Afghanistan who was a close associate of Osama bin Laden.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Trenton Crew Trains Indian Navy Navy NewsStand 23 Dec 2006 -- Throughout the month of December, Sailors of the amphibious transport dock ship USS Trenton (LPD 14) have been conducting general shipboard training with the Indian navy.
- Russia formally completes pullout of its Tbilisi garrison RIA Novosti 23 Dec 2006 -- Russia has formally completed the withdrawal of a military garrison from the Georgian capital, Tbilisi, by handing over control of its headquarters to Georgia's Defense Ministry, the Russian regional military command said Saturday.
- Somalia's Islamic Militia Call for Help From Foreign Muslim Fighters VOA 23 Dec 2006 -- Somalia's Islamists have called on foreign Muslim fighters to join their fight against Ethiopia-backed Somalian government troops.
- Ethiopian Tanks Reported Moving to Somalia Fighting Zone VOA 23 Dec 2006 -- Witnesses in Somalia say Ethiopia is moving tanks and other reinforcements into the area where Somalia's Islamists have been battling pro-government troops.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|