14 December 2006 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 14 Dec 2006 [PDF]
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- CENTAF releases airpower summary for Dec. 14 AFPN 14 Dec 2006 -- U.S. Central Command Air Forces officials have released the airpower summary for Dec. 14.
- Two Insurgents Killed; Rockets Discovered in Kirkuk AFPS 14 Dec 2006 -- Coalition forces killed two insurgents in Ramadi, and Iraqi police and U.S. soldiers discovered enemy weapons in operations yesterday and today in Iraq.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Farewell Message From Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld AFPS 14 Dec 2006 -- For these past six years, I have had the opportunity -- and, I should add, the privilege -- to serve with the greatest military the world has ever known.
- DoD Announces Installation Realignment in Germany 14 Dec 2006 -- The Department of Defense announced today that the United States will cease operations at several U.S. Army Europe communications, training, support, and housing sites in Germany and return them to the host nation in fiscal 2007.
- Detainee Transfer Announced 14 Dec 2006 -- The Department of Defense announced today that it transferred 16 detainees from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to Saudi Arabia.
- Federal Court Rules Against Guantanamo Detainee AFPS 14 Dec 2006 -- Upholding the legality of October's Military Commissions Act, a federal court ruled here yesterday that detainees at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, do not have the right to challenge their detention in U.S. courts.
- Statement by General Peter Schoomaker, Chief of Staff United States Army, before the Commission on National Guard and Reserves Army News 14 Dec 2006
- Excitement Heating Up Over New Extended-Cold-Weather Gear AFPS 14 Dec 2006 -- Members of the Alaska Army National Guard here are sizzling with excitement about their new cold weather gear that keeps them toasty warm even when temperatures dip to double digits below zero.
- Combat Hammer tests air-to-ground bombing capabilities AFPN 14 Dec 2006 -- Eglin Air Force Base's western range, Bravo 70, was the site of the largest-ever Combat Hammer Weapons System Evaluation Program, sponsored by the 86th Fighter Weapons Squadron Dec. 4 to 8.
- Montenegro Partners With Maine National Guard AFPS 14 Dec 2006 -- The ripples from the first muster of Dec. 13, 1636, have reached the shores of the Adriatic Sea, where the world's youngest country joined America's oldest military service in the National Guard's State Partnership Program on Dec. 7.
- Initial tests completed on Stryker NBCRV Army News 14 Dec 2006 -- Initial operating tests were completed on the Stryker Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Reconnaissance Vehicle at Dugway Proving Grounds last month.
- Reserve, Guard Soldiers extend mobilization to train others Army News 14 Dec 2006 -- Army Reserve and National Guard Soldiers returning here from Iraq and Afghanistan have a new way to continue their service in uniform.
- San Antonio Reaches Milestone Navy NewsStand 14 Dec 2006 -- USS San Antonio successfully completed the finale of the ship's 10-month Unit Level Training (ULT) with a successful Final Evaluation Period (FEP) Dec. 12 off the coast of Virginia.
- USS Buffalo Returns Home in Time for Holiday Season Navy NewsStand 14 Dec 2006 -- The nuclear-powered attack submarine USS Buffalo (SSN 715) returned home to Pearl Harbor Dec. 12, following a six-month deployment to the Western Pacific, its last Hawaii homecoming before changing homeports to Guam next year.
- USS Honolulu Holds Final Change of Command Ceremony Navy NewsStand 14 Dec 2006 -- Cmdr. John Mosier Jr. took the helm of USS Honolulu (SSN 718) from Cmdr. John Russ at the ship's final change of command ceremony, Dec. 11 at Naval Undersea Museum Keyport's Jack Murdock Auditorium.
- Sean McCormack, Spokesman US Dept. of State 14 Dec 2006
- Press Briefing by Tony Snow The White House 14 Dec 2006
- DoD News: Contracts for December 14, 2006
- Contract Signature for Acquisition of Tactical Unmanned Aerial Vehicles for (Australian) Army Israel Aerospace Industries 14 Dec 2006 -- The following is an announcement released today (December 14, 2006) by the Australian Department of Defence:
- Northrop Grumman Unveils Innovative Integrated Air and Missile Defense Battle Command System for the Warfighter Community Northrop Grumman 14 Dec 2006 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) debuted its unique approach for an integrated battle command system to the warfighter community last week at the Association of the U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Symposium in El Paso, Texas.
- Raytheon DDG 1000 Ship Control System Based on Open Architecture Successfully Completes Major Review Raytheon 14 Dec 2006 -- Raytheon Company's (NYSE: RTN) DDG 1000 Ship Control System Navigation System Component team successfully completed a design review at Raytheon Integrated Defense Systems' Expeditionary Warfare Center (EWC) in San Diego, Calif.
- Navy Posts Successful Test of Raytheon's Block IV Tomahawk Cruise Missile Raytheon 14 Dec 2006 -- A U.S. Navy Tomahawk Block IV cruise missile built by Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) was successfully launched Dec. 6 from USS Milius (DDG-69), an Arleigh Burke class destroyer, on the Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division Sea Test Range off the coast of Southern California.
- Orbital Awarded $27 Million Contract By U.S. Air Force For Two Launches To Support Hypersonic Flight Testing Orbital Sciences Corp. 14 Dec 2006 -- Orbital Sciences Corporation (NYSE: ORB) today announced that it has been awarded a $27 million contract for two Minotaur IV launch vehicles by the U.S. Air Force Space and Missiles Systems (SMC) Space Development and Test Wing (SDTW). The SDTW organization responsible for this contract is the 3rd Space Test Squadron (3STS).
- Hamilton Sundstrand to sell its WFEL business in United Kingdom Hamilton Sundstrand 14 Dec 2006 -- Hamilton Sundstrand, a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX), has sold its WFEL business to a group led by the private equity firm Dunedin Capital Partners, Ltd.
- Sagem Défense Sécurité: successful test firing of AASM armament Sagem (Safran group) 14 Dec 2006 -- On December 1, France’s defense procurement agency (DGA) successfully completed the first operational test firing of the AASM modular air-to-ground armament. Developed and manufactured by Sagem Défense Sécurité (SAFRAN Group), the AASM is a new family of weapon that will equip the French Army’s and Navy’s Rafale planes by 2007.
- Aso's Kurils proposal unrealistic, but may spur talks - experts RIA Novosti 14 Dec 2006 -- Russian experts believe the Japanese foreign minister's new proposal to divide the Kuril islands could reinvigorate talks on the long-standing territorial row with Russia, but doubt it is a realistic option.
- Tokyo refuses to back FM Aso's proposal over Kurils RIA Novosti 14 Dec 2006 -- Japan's government distanced itself Thursday from Foreign Minister Taro Aso's proposal to resolve a long-standing territorial row with Russia over four Kuril islands by dividing them down the middle.
- US Says el-Qaida Elements Running Somali Islamic Movement VOA 14 Dec 2006 -- The U.S. State Department's top diplomat for Africa says el-Qaida figures are now running the Islamic Courts movement which controls most of Somalia
- Analysis: Proxy War in Africa's Horn cfr.org 14 Dec 2006 -- In the disputed border area between Ethiopia and Eritrea, tensions have been high all year but neither side appears willing to break the stalemate. Instead, both countries have been amassing troops in neighboring Somalia in what appears to be a proxy war
- Israeli Court Upholds Some Targeted Killings VOA 14 Dec 2006 -- Israel's High Court has decided not to issue a complete ban on the targeted killings of Palestinian militants
- Israeli Court Declines to Ban Military's Targeted Killings VOA 14 Dec 2006 -- Israel's top court has declined to ban the military's practice of carrying out targeted killings of Palestinian militants.
- EU Official Accuses Sudan Government of Arming Militias VOA 14 Dec 2006 -- The European Union special representative to Sudan says the EU is disturbed by recent developments in the embattled Darfur region
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|