08 December 2006 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 08 Dec 2006 [PDF]
- Roadside bomb strikes joint patrol, kills one Soldier
- DoD Identifies Marine Casualty
- DoD Identifies Marine Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualties
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Transcript: DoD Press Briefing with Lt. Gen. Peter Chiarelli from the Pentagon 08 Dec 2006 -- Presenter: Lt. Gen. Peter Chiarelli, U.S. Army Commander, Multinational Corps Iraq
- CENTAF releases airpower summary for Dec. 8 AFPN 08 Dec 2006 -- U.S. Central Command Air Forces officials have released the airpower summary for Dec. 8.
- Four Insurgents Captured; Leaders Discuss Security in Iraq AFPS 08 Dec 2006 -- Iraqi and coalition forces captured a senior al Qaeda in Iraq leader yesterday and detained three insurgents the previous day.
- US Military: 20 Al Qaida Militants Killed in Raid in Central Iraq VOA 08 Dec 2006 -- The U.S. military in Iraq says coalition forces have killed 20 suspected al-Qaida militants, including two women, during a ground and air operation in central Iraq.
- Rumsfeld: Early Iraq, Afghan Pullouts Would Be 'Terrible' Mistake AFPS 08 Dec 2006 -- An early withdrawal of U.S. forces from Iraq or Afghanistan would aid terrorists and cause more instability in those countries, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld told military and civilian employees at the Pentagon today.
- Afghan President Tells Pakistan Envoy: We Are 'Losing Patience' VOA 08 Dec 2006 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai says his country is "losing patience" with the continuing attacks from insurgents allegedly based in neighboring Pakistan
Defense Policy / Programs
- Transcript: Town Hall Meeting with Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Peter Pace 09 Dec 2006 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Peter Pace
- Small Change to Aircraft to Save Navy Millions Navy NewsStand 08 Dec 2006 -- Boeing officials presented the "Conquistadors" of Logistics Support Squadron (VR) 57 with the latest modification to their newest aircraft at Naval Air Station North Island Dec. 7.
- Rumsfeld Reflects on Accomplishments, Highlights at Pentagon Helm AFPS 08 Dec 2006 -- Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld today told members of the Defense Department that he will leave his office proud to have served with them and of what they have accomplished and inspired by their dedication, patriotism and sacrifice.
- Dover to be active hub for C-5 isochronal inspections AFPN 08 Dec 2006 -- Air Mobility Command officials announced Dec. 8 Dover Air Force Base, Del., as one of three sites selected for future C-5 Galaxy cargo aircraft isochronal inspections.
- F-15 demo team transitions to F-22 demo team AFPN 08 Dec 2006 -- The F-15 Eagle East Coast Demonstration Team, one of seven single-ship demonstration teams assigned to Air Combat Command, concluded 27 years of performance history Dec. 1.
- Essex ARG Returns From Fall Patrol Navy NewsStand 08 Dec 2006 -- USS Essex (LHD 2), flagship of the Essex Amphibious Ready Group (ESXARG), returned to its forward-deployed home of Sasebo, Japan, Dec. 1, capping more than two months at sea during its fall patrol.
- 26th MEU, Bataan Strike Group Cruise Into CERTEX Navy NewsStand 08 Dec 2006 -- After nearly six months of rigorous pre-deployment training, the 26th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) reached the final test Nov. 30 before its scheduled early 2007 deployment.
- BOXESG Trains For Mass Casualty Scenario Navy NewsStand 08 Dec 2006 -- USS Boxer (LHD 4) Expeditionary Strike Group (BOXESG) tested its medical response capabilities during a series of mass casualty drills from Nov. 27 to 30.
- Nashville Returns After Six-Month Deployment Navy NewsStand 08 Dec 2006 -- Sailors manned the rails Dec. 6 as the amphibious transport dock USS Nashville (LPD 13) returned to her homeport of Naval Station Norfolk.
- Military Sealift Command Chartered Ship Carries Navy Ship to Bahrain Navy NewsStand 08 Dec 2006 -- USS Gladiator (MCM 11) departed from Naval Station Ingleside Dec. 7 after being loaded aboard Military Sealift Command (MSC)-chartered heavy lift ship Condock V (6763/84).
- Halyburton Returns From Diverse Deployment Navy NewsStand 08 Dec 2006 -- USS Halyburton (FFG 40) returned to homeport Dec. 8 after completing a variety of different missions on a five-month deployment.
- NNMC Conducts Mass Casualty Exercise Navy NewsStand 08 Dec 2006 -- The National Naval Medical Center hosted its most extensive mass casualty exercise Dec. 7 to strengthen the National Capital Area's emergency response and create a preparedness model for other communities.
- NATO team ensures safe sky during Riga Summit AFPN 08 Dec 2006 -- While Airmen around U.S. Air Forces in Europe were gathering to celebrate Thanksgiving, duty called for more than 450 other Airmen in seven European countries to support the NATO Riga Summit in Latvia.
- UK should not buy US joint fighters without technology, say MPs IRNA 08 Dec 2006 -- The British government should not agree to buy the new F-35 Joint Strike Fighter from the US unless Washington shares its secret technology, an all-party group of MPs warned Friday.
- Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 08 Dec 2006
- Press Briefing by Tony Snow The White House 08 Dec 2006
- DoD News: Contracts for December 08, 2006
- U.S. Air Force Awards General Dynamics Contract For Alternative Infrared Satellite System General Dynamics 08 Dec 2006 -- General Dynamics (NYSE: GD) was awarded a $23.3 million contract by the U.S. Air Force Space and Missile Systems Center in Los Angeles, Calif., to support research and development efforts on the Alternative Infrared Satellite System (AIRSS) program
- LOCKHEED MARTIN MARKS 31ST CONSECUTIVE A2100 SUCCESS WITH THE LAUNCH OF AMC-18 SATELLITE Lockheed Martin 08 Dec 2006 -- The AMC-18 telecommunications satellite, designed and built by Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] for SES GLOBAL (Euronext Paris and Luxembourg stock exchanges SESG), was successfully launched today from Kourou, French Guiana.
- General Dynamics Awarded $208 Million for Second Trimaran Littoral Combat Ship General Dynamics 09 Dec 2006 -- The U.S. Navy today awarded a $208 million contract option to a Bath Iron Works-led team for construction of a second Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) featuring an innovative, high-speed trimaran hull.
- LOCKHEED MARTIN F-35 COMPLETES FIRST GROUND TAXI TEST Lockheed Martin 08 Dec 2006 -- The F-35 Lightning II moved under its own power for the first time on Thursday afternoon, initiating the last series of tests before the fighter jet's first flight.
- Thales on track in TBMD Thales 08 Dec 2006 -- For this purpose Thales' SMART-L Volume Search Radar was fitted with a test version of the recently developed Extended Long Range (ELR) Mode, performing out to maximum instrumented range of 480 km. SMART-L with the ELR Mode incontrovertibly proved to be able to detect and track targets representing Tactical Ballistic Missiles.
- DEAL BRINGS BAE SYSTEMS THROUGHLIFE COUNTERMEASURES CAPABILITY TO TYPHOON THREAT DETECTION SUB SYSTEM BAE Systems 08 Dec 2006 -- BAE Systems has been awarded a contract for the supply of microwave modules that form an integral part of the Eurofighter Typhoon Defensive Aids Sub System (DASS).
- Future Combat Systems Program Selects Logistics Data Management Service Provider Boeing 08 Dec 2006 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] and partner Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC) [NYSE: SAI], acting as the Lead Systems Integrator for the U.S. Army's Future Combat Systems (FCS) program, today announced the selection of IBM Corporation's Global Business Systems division of Bethesda, Md., as the provider of Logistics Data Management Service (LDMS) for FCS
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICES OF THE SPOKESMAN FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL AND THE SPOKESWOMAN FOR THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY PRESIDENT United Nations 08 Dec 2006
- ISRAEL-OPT: US$450m humanitarian appeal for Palestinians IRIN 08 Dec 2006 -- United Nations agencies and NGOs have launched a US$450 million emergency appeal for humanitarian aid for the Palestinians - the biggest-ever for the Palestinians and the third-largest in the world.
- Palestinian PM Calls for Jihad During Visit to Iran VOA 08 Dec 2006 -- Palestinian Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh says his Hamas-led government will never recognize Israel and will continue to fight for the liberation of Jerusalem.
- Somali Islamists Report Heavy Fighting With Ethiopians VOA 08 Dec 2006 -- Heavy fighting has erupted in southern Somalia between the country's powerful Islamist movement and forces allied to the weak interim government.
- Annan Warns Sudan's Leaders: Protect Darfurians Or Face Consequences VOA 08 Dec 2006 -- U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan has accused the Sudanese government of failing to protect its citizens in war-ravaged Darfur
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|