01 December 2006 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 01 Dec 2006 [PDF]
- MND-B Soldier killed in Baghdad
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Transcript: DoD News Briefing with Maj. Gen. Mixon at the Pentagon 01 Dec 2006 -- Presenter: Commander, Multinational - Division North and the 25th Infantry Division, Maj. Gen. Benjamin R. Mixon
- CENTAF releases airpower summary for Dec. 1 AFPN 01 Dec 2006 -- U.S. Central Command Air Forces officials have released the airpower summary for Dec. 1.
- U.S. Military to Boost Trainers for Iraqi Army, Police, General Says AFPS 01 Dec 2006 -- The U.S. military is increasing the number of embedded trainers assisting Iraqi army and police units to become more proficient and independent, the senior U.S. military officer overseeing operations in northern Iraq said today.
- Iraqi Army, Coalition Detain, Kill Insurgents; Iraqis Killed in Suicide Attack AFPS 01 Dec 2006 -- In a string of operations across Iraq this week, Iraqi forces detained 28 suspects, coalition forces killed 17 insurgents and rescued three Iraqi hostages, and four Iraqis were killed in a suicide attack, military officials in Iraq reported.
- Iraqi Forces Clash with Baghdad Insurgents; Coalition Raids Target al-Qaida VOA 01 Dec 2006 -- Iraqi forces, backed by U.S. helicopters, have clashed with Sunni insurgents in Baghdad, as coalition troops conducted raids in the capital.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Stephen A. Cambone to Resign 01 Dec 2006 -- The Department of Defense announced today that Under Secretary of Defense (Intelligence) Stephen A. Cambone will resign from the Department on Dec. 31, 2006.
- USAFE officials reactivate 3rd Air Force AFPN 01 Dec 2006 -- The 3rd Air Force was reactivated today during a ceremony here. Lt. Gen. Robert D. Bishop Jr. took command. General Bishop has been vice commander of U.S. Air Forces in Europe.
- Boxer Switches to PASCAC Navy NewsStand 01 Dec 2006 -- During a port visit to Manama, Bahrain Nov. 18-22, USS Boxer (LHD 4) began full use of a new system to track Sailors as they board and leave the ship while in foreign ports.
- Guard Chief: Relief on Way for Guard's Equipment Shortages AFPS 01 Dec 2006 -- The National Guard Bureau chief assured members of the Army and Air National Guard during a visit here earlier this week that relief is on the way for the Guard's chronic equipment shortages.
- Outdated Images of Detention Center, Mission Frustrate Guantanamo Troopers AFPS 01 Dec 2006 -- A 28-year-old block guard here whose mission is to ensure the safe care and custody of enemy combatants said he wishes the world had an accurate picture of the place where he serves.
- NORAD to patrol space shuttle operations AFPN 01 Dec 2006 -- The Air Force is stepping up its air patrols in the Cape Canaveral, Fla., area to increase security for upcoming space shuttle operations.
- DoD News: Contracts for December 01, 2006
- Raytheon Mission Support Leads to Navy Performance Based Logistics Award Raytheon 30 Nov 2006 -- The Department of Defense has recognized a partnership between the U.S. Navy and Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) for improving through innovative performance based logistics the availability, reliability and mission success of the H-60 armed helicopter targeting system.
- U.S. Air Force Extends General Dynamics Contract for Integration Engineering Support General Dynamics 01 Dec 2006 -- General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems, a business unit of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), has been awarded a $7.4 million contract to continue integration support of the Distributed Common Ground System (DCGS) for the U.S. Air Force.
- Boeing Delivers Final Upgraded E6-B to U.S. Navy Boeing 01 Dec 2006 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] Thursday celebrated the upcoming delivery of the 16th and final upgraded E6-B Mercury to the U.S. Navy during a ceremony at Cecil Field in Jacksonville, Fla.
- A400M programme review completed EADS 01 Dec 2006 -- The two month-review of the A400M-program, mandated by the CEOs of EADS in September, has been completed this week through presentations to OCCAR and the EADS Board of Directors.
- GE Awarded F414 Performance Based Logistics Contract GE Aviation 01 Dec 2006 -- In late November, the U.S. Navy awarded GE Aviation a four-year Performance Based Logistics (PBL) contract covering the repair, replacement, consumables and program support for F414-GE-400 engine components for the F/A-18 E/F Super Hornet and EA-18G Growler aircraft.
- EADS and Thales prime contractors for French Armed Forces Strategy Centre programme Thales 01 Dec 2006 -- The French armaments directorate (DGA) is launching the complete restructuring of the information and communication systems of the Paris Strategy Centre, a project known by the abbreviation OE SIC PSP. The associated contract worth about € 70 million has been awarded to EADS Defence & Security Systems and THALES as well as to their partners INEO and Cegelec and covers the implementation of a programme for remodelling the information and communication systems of the French High Command of the Paris Strategy Centre (PSP).
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICES OF THE SPOKESMAN FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL AND THE SPOKESWOMAN FOR THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY PRESIDENT United Nations 01 Dec 2006
- Analysis: Probing the Somali Hornets Nest cfr.org 01 Dec 2006 -- The UN Security Council has agreed to consider strengthening its ban on weapons shipments to Somalia following a damning report by the UN Monitoring Group on Somalia detailing gross violations
- UN's Top Somalia Envoy Hopeful Peace Talks Will Resume VOA 01 Dec 2006 -- The United Nation's envoy to Somalia says Thursday's deadly suicide car bombings near the town of Baidoa, where the country's besieged interim government is based and the only town it controls, have not dampened hopes for the resumption of stalled peace talks between the government and Somali Islamists
- General Assembly urges Middle East sides to extend truce to West Bank UN News Centre 01 Dec 2006 -- Under the terms of one of a series of resolutions on the Middle East passed by large majorities today, the United Nations General Assembly welcomed the recent Palestinian truce initiative and its acceptance by Israel, and urged both sides to maintain and extend it to the West Bank.
- Abbas Mulls Next Move as Unity Talks with Hamas Collapse VOA 01 Dec 2006 -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas is mulling his next move after talks on forming a national unity government with the ruling Islamic militant group Hamas collapsed
- Sri Lankan President's Brother Escapes Deadly Suicide Blast VOA 01 Dec 2006 -- The Sri Lankan president's brother has escaped a suicide bombing that targeted a defense convoy in the capital, Colombo
- CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC: Hundreds flee Birao as French jets strike IRIN 01 Dec 2006 -- Hundreds of civilians have been fleeing towards neighbouring Sudan after air strikes by French jet fighters against rebels near the northeastern town of Birao.
- SUDAN: AU extends mandate of Darfur force as Sudan rejects UN troops IRIN 01 Dec 2006 -- The African Union (AU) has renewed the mandate of its peacekeeping force in Darfur for six months after Sudan rejected a proposal that would have brought in United Nations troops to help end the bloody conflict in its western region.
- PRESS CONFERENCE BY EMERGENCY RELIEF COORDINATOR ON SEXUAL VIOLENCE United Nations 01 Dec 2006
- Lebanon: Protests Call For Government To Step Down RFE/RL 01 Dec 2006 -- Hundreds of thousands of noisy protesters from Hizballah and Lebanon's Christian opposition have massed into downtown Beirut, calling for the government of Western-backed Prime Minister Fuad Siniora to step down.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|