23 November 2006 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Three Marines die in Western Iraq
- DoD Identifies Marine Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Over 150 Dead in Sadr City Bombings VOA 23 Nov 2006 -- More than 150 Iraqis have been killed in a series of car bomb and possible mortar attacks in Baghdad's Sadr City neighborhood
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S., Turkish forces team up in Anatolian Eagle AFPN 23 Nov 2006 -- The 22nd Expeditionary Fighter Squadron from Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany, deployed F-16 Fighting Falcons and more than 200 Airmen here for a two-week exercise called Anatolian Eagle.
- 18th Wing key component in war on terrorism AFPN 23 Nov 2006 -- The importance of the 18th Wing's mission in fighting the war on terrorism and its peacekeeping efforts in the Pacific region were the key topics discussed by the U.S. Forces Japan and 5th Air Force commander here Nov. 15.
- Gen Craddock to replace Gen Jones as head of US European command IRNA 23 Nov 2006 -- US Army General John Craddock will officially assume command of the US European Command (USEUCOM) in the south German city of Stuttgart on December 4, a US military press release announced on Thursday.
- Russia completes delivery of S-300 air defense systems to Belarus RIA Novosti 23 Nov 2006 -- Russia has delivered the last two S-300 (SA-10 Grumble) anti-aircraft missile systems to Belarus, the Belarusian defense minister said Thursday.
- Second trainload of equipment leaves Russian garrison in Georgia RIA Novosti 23 Nov 2006 -- A second trainload of equipment and ammunition left a Russian garrison outside the Georgian capital, Tbilisi, on Thursday, in keeping with Russia's commitment to withdraw from its military bases in the post-Soviet Caucasus state by the end of 2008.
- Thales awarded new PHAROS III contract by the Royal Netherlands Air Force Thales 23 Nov 2006 -- The Dutch Ministry of Defence and Thales today signed a contract for the renovation of PHAROS (Plan Handling And Radar Operating System) - the system that has been used since 1994 by the military air traffic control centre which is located in Nieuw Millingen, The Netherlands.
- Successful Cape Verde deployment for Thales SICF command information system Thales 23 Nov 2006 -- The exercise was held in June 2006 on four of the ten Cape Verde islands - Santo Antao, Sao Vincente, Sal and Santiago - based on a scenario involving a demonstration of force to protect civilians after a rise in terrorist activity, and a relief operation following a natural disaster.
- Israelis Continue Gaza Offensive VOA 23 Nov 2006 -- Israeli forces continued their military operations in the northern Gaza Strip, where at least six Palestinians were killed on Thursday
- Ethiopia Says Preparations Complete for Possible War With Somali Islamists VOA 23 Nov 2006 -- In a motion put forth to parliament Thursday, Ethiopia's prime minister indicated that his country could use force to defend Ethiopia against Somali Islamists if negotiations with them are unsuccessful
- Lebanon: Huge Crowds Gather For Politician's Funeral RFE/RL 23 Nov 2006 -- The center of Beirut was a sea of cedar-tree flags today as Lebanon put on a show of patriotism for the funeral of Industry Minister Pierre Gemayel, the sixth opponent of neighboring Syria to be assassinated in the last two years.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|