27 August 2006 Military News
- MND-B SOLDIER KILLED BY ROADSIDE BOMB
- Operation 'Together Forward' Expands Into Northeast Baghdad AFPS 27 Aug 2006 -- Iraqi security forces, supported by Multinational Division Baghdad soldiers, expanded their combined security effort into the Adhamiyah neighborhood of northeast Baghdad today in support of "Operation Together Forward."
- Three Coalition Force Soldiers Injured, Insurgents Detained AFPS 27 Aug 2006 -- Three coalition force soldiers were injured in a weapons accident at Camp Echo, Iraq, yesterday.
- Taliban Commander, 15 Other Militants Killed AFPS 27 Aug 2006 -- Coalition soldiers killed a known Taliban commander and 15 other militants in Afghanistan Aug. 25, Combined Forces Command Afghanistan officials said in a news release.
- CENTCOM Commander Pleased by Afghanistan Security Progress AFPS 27 Aug 2006 -- As NATO forces prepare to take over security operations in portions of Afghanistan, Army Gen. John Abizaid said he's pleased with the progress he sees in regard to the country's security situation.
- JTF Lebanon Establishes Air-Land and Sea Task Forces AFPS 27 Aug 2006 -- Navy Vice Adm. J. "Boomer" Stufflebeem, commander of Joint Task Force Lebanon, assigned two task force commanders to lead critical elements of his newly formed organization as part of assuming authority for U.S. military operations here on Aug. 23, officials here announced today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Transcript: Media Availability with Secretary Rumsfeld and Minister Ivanov from Fairbanks, Alaska 27 Aug 2006 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld and Russian Minister of Defense Sergey Ivanov
- Transcript: Media Availability with Secretary Rumsfeld and Lt. Gen. Obering on Missile Defense 27 Aug 2006 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and Director of the Missile Defense Agency Lt. Gen. Henry "Trey" Obering III
- Hezbollah Leader Regrets Kidnapping that Led to War with Israel VOA 27 Aug 2006 -- Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah says he regrets the kidnapping of two Israeli soldiers that sparked more than a month of warfare with Israel.
- Curfew in Pakistani City After Rebel Leader Killed VOA 27 Aug 2006 -- Pakistan says it has killed a rebel tribal leader during a combat operation in the southwestern province of Baluchistan
- Akbar Bugti killed in army operation IRNA 27 Aug 2006 -- Nawab Akbar Bugti, leader of the Bugti tribe, president of the Jamhoori Watan Party and the driving force behind the anti-government rebellion in Balochistan, was killed in a massive military operation in the Bhambore Hills, an area between the cities of Kohlu and Dera Bugti.
- Kidnapped Journalists Released In Gaza RFE/RL 27 Aug 2006 -- Two journalists working for the U.S. Fox News television network have been released in Gaza City after nearly two weeks in captivity.
- Fox Journalists Released by Captors in Gaza VOA 27 Aug 2006 -- Two journalists, who have been held for nearly two weeks by Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip, were freed unharmed on Sunday
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|