26 August 2006 Military News
- DoD Identifies Marine Casualty
- Afghan President Orders Inquiry Into US-Led Attack VOA 26 Aug 2006 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai has ordered an investigation into a U.S.-led attack that left at least eight people dead.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Detainee Transfer Announced 26 Aug 2006 -- The Department of Defense announced today that it transferred five detainees from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, to Afghanistan.
- Naval Coastal Warfare Squadron Deploys to Kuwait Navy NewsStand 26 Aug 2006 -- Naval Coastal Warfare Squadron (NCWRON) 34 from Naval Coastal Warfare Group (NCWG) 1 deployed to Kuwait Aug. 22 and 24 to provide harbor and port security.
- Boeing Invests in Huneed Technologies for Command, Control and Communications Network Operations Boeing 26 Aug 2006 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] has signed an agreement to invest in Huneed Technologies, a Korean company and leading supplier of communications network systems in the Korean market.
- France Says 2,000 Troops to Arrive in Lebanon in Three Weeks VOA 26 Aug 2006 -- France says that all of its 2,000 troops committed to the U.N. peacekeeping mission in Lebanon will be in place within three weeks.
- Syria does not accept int'l forces on its border with Lebanon IRNA 26 Aug 2006 -- Lebanese Prime Minister Fouad Siniora dismissed Israeli insistence that international forces be deployed on the Syrian border with Lebanon and said Lebanese troops already there posed no threat to Syria.
- US holds inquiry into Israeli use of cluster bomb against Lebanon IRNA 26 Aug 2006 -- Following the alarm sounded by the United Nations on Israeli use of US-made cluster bombs in its air raids on southern Lebanon, Washington held inquiry into the matter.
- Fatah, Hamas Agree To National Unity Government RFE/RL 26 Aug 2006 -- Representatives of Palestinian Authority President Mahmud Abbas's Fatah movement and the Hamas militant group today reached an agreement to form a national unity government.
- Reports: Ugandan Government, Rebel Group Sign Truce VOA 26 Aug 2006 -- Sources close to peace talks between the Ugandan government and rebels of the Lord's Resistance Army say the two sides have agreed to a cessation of hostilities.
- Somalia Accuses Eritrea of Backing Islamist Movement VOA 26 Aug 2006 -- Somalia's interim government says Eritrea is sending troops and weapons to Somalia to bolster an increasingly powerful Islamist movement.
- Palestinian Official: Two Journalists Held Hostage Unharmed VOA 26 Aug 2006 -- A Palestinian official says two Western journalists seized earlier this month in the Gaza Strip have not been harmed.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|