05 August 2006 Military News
- SOLDIER DIES IN AL ANBAR
- CENTAF releases airpower summary for Aug. 5 AFPN 05 Aug 2006 -- U.S. Central Command Air Forces officials have released the airpower summary for Aug. 5.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Russia assumes command of Blackseafor RIA Novosti 05 Aug 2006 -- Russia's Navy took over command of the Black Sea Naval Cooperation Task Group from Romania Saturday prior to an active phase of a Blackseafor exercise, the press service of the Russian Black Sea Fleet said.
- Boeing Statement on Oak Ridge Work Stoppage Boeing 05 Aug 2006 -- In response to today's decision by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Local 2709 to reject a three-year contract offer, Boeing [NYSE: BA] issued the following statement
- U.S. sanctions related to Russia arms deals with Venezuela RIA Novosti 05 Aug 2006 -- Russia's Defense Ministry said Saturday U.S. sanctions against two Russian state-owned companies were linked with their contracts with Venezuela.
- Russia Calls US Sanctions Against Two Weapons Companies 'Unlawful' VOA 05 Aug 2006 -- Russian officials have reacted sharply to the sanctions imposed by the United States against two major weapons firms, calling the action "unlawful."
- Indian company rejects US claim on chemical supplies to Iran IRNA 05 Aug 2006 -- One of the two Indian companies, Balaji Amines, a chemical company blacklisted by the US for dealings with Iran, on Saturday rejected American claims saying it had not supplied any product that could be used in the weapons of mass destruction.
- United States Ready To Vote on Mideast Resolution Washington File 05 Aug 2006 -- The United States is prepared to vote quickly on a draft resolution to end the hostilities in Lebanon presented to the Security Council, U.S. Ambassador John Bolton said August 5.
- France and US agree on a UN Ceasefire Resolution in Lebanon VOA 05 Aug 2006 -- France and the United States have presented the U.N. Security Council with a draft resolution aimed at ending the fighting between Israel and Hezbollah in Lebanon.
- Amid ongoing fighting in Lebanon, UN continues relief effort UN News Centre 05 Aug 2006 -- As fighting raged today in Lebanon, the United Nations continued its efforts to help the beleaguered people of the country, where the Government estimates that one fourth of the population has been uprooted.
- Mideast Fighting Continues as Diplomacy Gathers Steam VOA 05 Aug 2006 -- Israel launched air strikes, commando raids and heavy ground combat operations Saturday against Hezbollah in Lebanon, as Hezbollah militants continued rocket attacks against northern Israel
- France, US Agree on Cease-Fire in Lebanon VOA 05 Aug 2006 -- The United States and France have agreed on a proposed United Nations resolution to bring an end to the fighting in Lebanon.
- Israeli Commandos Raid Lebanese City of Tyre VOA 05 Aug 2006 -- Israeli commandos have stormed an apartment complex in the southern Lebanese city of Tyre, trying to capture or kill leaders of a local Hezbollah unit they believe had been firing long-range rockets into Israel.
- Lebanon Violence Continues As U.S. Envoy Visits RFE/RL 05 Aug 2006 -- Israeli soldiers battled Hizballah militants near the southern Lebanese town of Tyre today in a raid targeting Hizballah fighters Israel said had fired rockets deep into Israel on August 4.
- Indonesia Muslim Leader Claims Militants Sent on Anti-Israeli Missions VOA 05 Aug 2006 -- The leader of a radical Southeast Asian Islamist group says his organization has sent more than 200 suicide bombers to western nations to attack Israeli interests and those of its supporters, in retaliation for the military offensive in Lebanon.
- Lankan rebels massacre 100 refugees in Sri Lanka IRNA 05 Aug 2006 -- Sri Lankan rebels massacred over 100 civilians fleeing the fighting between LTTE rebels and security forces in Sri Lanka's northeast.
- Georgia to make new attempts to solve S.Ossetia conflict by force RIA Novosti 05 Aug 2006 -- Georgia has not dropped the idea of a military resolution of its conflict with South Ossetia, the interior minister of the breakaway region said Saturday.
- Ethiopian Foreign Minister Visits Somalia to Mediate Political Crisis VOA 05 Aug 2006 -- Ethiopia's foreign minister is visiting Somalia to mediate a dispute within Somalia's transitional government.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|