20 February 2006 Military News
- SOLDIER KILLED IN IED ATTACK
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Iraq Attacks Kill At Least 19 RFE/RL 20 Feb 2006 -- At least 19 people were killed in Iraq this morning in three separate attacks.
- Bombings Kill at Least 17 in Iraq VOA 20 Feb 2006 -- At least 17 Iraqis and a U.S. soldier were killed Monday in bombing attacks across Iraq.
- Soldier Killed in Attack; Troops Nab Suspects, Weapons AFPS 20 Feb 2006 -- A U.S. soldier was killed in Iraq today, and coalition and Iraqi forces detained 42 suspected terrorists and discovered weapons caches, officials in Iraq reported today.
- Joint Military Response to Mudslide Continues in Philippines AFPS 20 Feb 2006 -- The joint military response to a devastating Feb. 17 mudslide in southern Leyte in the Philippines continues today, much of it being provided by sailors, Marines and airmen who were already in the region for a joint multinational training exercise, Balikatan, officials reported.
- Forward Deployed ARG Arrives in Leyte to Provide Humanitarian Assistance Navy NewsStand 20 Feb 2006 -- Sailors and Marines from the Forward Deployed Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) with elements of the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), Joint Task Force (JTF) Balikatan and USS Curtis Wilbur (DDG 54) arrived off the coast here Feb. 19 to provide humanitarian assistance and disaster relief to the victims of a wide-sweeping mudslide.
- USS Essex, USS Harpers Ferry and USS Curtis Wilbur Arrive on Station to Help Philippine Mudslide Victims Navy NewsStand 20 Feb 2006 -- USS Essex (LHD 2), USS Harpers Ferry (LSD 49), USS Curtis Wilbur (DDG 54) and elements of the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), Joint Task Force (JTF) Balikatan arrived on station off the coast of Southern Leyte to provide humanitarian assistance and disaster relief (HA/DR) Feb. 19 for victims of a recent mudslide there.
Defense Policy / Programs
- White House Briefing, February 20 Washington File 20 Feb 2006 -- Philippines, Mexico, immigration reform, alternative energy sources, Advance Energy Initiative
- Republic of Singapore Air Force Deploys First International Boeing AH-64D Apache Longbow Helicopter in Asia Boeing 20 Feb 2006 -- The Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) has reassigned three of its AH-64D Apache Longbow multi-role combat helicopters from its training base in the United States to a RSAF facility in Singapore, marking the first-ever deployment of international Apache helicopters in Asia.
- Norway Signs Contract for Boeing JDAM Boeing 20 Feb 2006 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] will provide the Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) weapon system to the Royal Norwegian Air Force (RNoAF) under an agreement recently reached with Norway.
- FIRST F-35 EXITS LOCKHEED MARTIN FACTORY, PREPARES FOR TESTING Lockheed Martin 20 Feb 2006 -- The Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] F-35 Joint Strike Fighter team has completed assembly of the first F-35 aircraft and moved it out of the factory in preparation for an intensive period of ground testing. First flight of the F-35, a conventional takeoff and landing version, remains on schedule for this fall.
- NAVY AWARDS LOCKHEED MARTIN $5.4 MILLION CONTRACT MODIFICATION FOR MK 41 VERTICAL LAUNCH SYSTEM SUPPORT SERVICES Lockheed Martin 20 Feb 2006 -- Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] received a $5.4 million modification to an existing contract from the U.S. Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) to continue providing technical and engineering support services for the MK 41 Vertical Launch System (VLS) program.
- Boeing to Begin Work on Fourth Wideband Gapfiller Satellite Boeing 20 Feb 2006 -- Boeing [NYSE:BA] has received a $148 million contract from the U.S. Air Force to begin work on the fourth satellite in the Wideband Gapfiller Satellite (WGS) system, a 13-kilowatt spacecraft based upon Boeing's 702 satellite model.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESMAN FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL AND THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY PRESIDENT United Nations 20 Feb 2006
- Talks on Kosovo's Status Open in Vienna VOA 20 Feb 2006 -- Ethnic Albanian and Serb delegations have begun U.N.-mediated talks on the future of the province of Kosovo
- Hamas Opens Talks On Coalition Government RFE/RL 20 Feb 2006 -- The militant group Hamas is today beginning coalition talks to form a Palestinian government despite winning a clear parliamentary majority in January's elections.
- Hamas Annuls Recent Palestinian Parliament Votes RFE/RL 20 Feb 2006 -- The new Hamas speaker of the Palestinian parliament today ordered a freeze on all decisions made by outgoing parliament last week.
- Iranian Leader Calls On Muslims To Fund Palestinians RFE/RL 20 Feb 2006 -- Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei says Muslims worldwide should provide money to the Palestinians.
- Hamas Seeks Coalition Government VOA 20 Feb 2006 -- Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas is holding talks with Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh on forming a new Palestinian government
- NEPAL: The political context of the crisis in Nepal IRIN 20 Feb 2006 -- The 1 February 2005 takeover of executive powers by King Gyanendra has led to a new era of uncertainty in the tiny mountain kingdom of Nepal.
- NEPAL: Overview analysis: A people's war? IRIN 20 Feb 2006 -- Nepal's brutal conflict between Maoist insurgents and security forces has exacted a heavy toll on the civilian population, especially those in contested hill districts, many of whom already live near or on the global poverty threshold.
- SOMALIA: Fifteen killed as militias clash in Mogadishu IRIN 20 Feb 2006 -- At least 15 people have been killed and hundreds of families displaced in fighting that started on Saturday between rival militias in the Somali capital, Mogadishu, witnesses said.
- Kosovo: Talks On Province's Future Begin In Vienna RFE/RL 20 Feb 2006 -- Serbian and ethnic Albanian negotiators began direct talks today on the future status of Kosovo
- Militants in Nigeria's Oil Region Claim New Strike VOA 20 Feb 2006 -- Militants in Nigeria's volatile, but oil-rich, Niger Delta say they have struck again, just days after abducting a group of foreign oil workers
- DRC: Congo gets new constitution, new flag IRIN 20 Feb 2006 -- President Joseph Kabila has promulgated the Democratic Republic of Congo's new constitution and new flag, a move that paves the way for the beginning of the country's electoral process, expected to end with presidential elections midyear.
- GREAT LAKES: Regional ministerial meeting opens IRIN 20 Feb 2006 -- Foreign ministers from Africa's Great Lakes region began a meeting on Monday in Bangui, capital of the Central African Republic (CAR) to finalise preparations for a heads of state summit due to be held in Nairobi, Kenya, later in the year.
- EADS Astrium-ISRO alliance sealed. First contract with Eutelsat for W2M satellite EADS 20 Feb 2006 -- The aim of the alliance between EADS Astrium and ANTRIX/ISRO which builds on the proven expertise of both Indian and European companies, is to jointly offer communications satellites in the market segment around 4kW of payload power and with a launch mass of 2 to 3 tons. This cooperation combining Indian platforms along with European payloads is designed to offer optimal, flexible and cost effective solutions to telecommunications operators.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|