25 September 2005 Military News
- ONE SOLDIER KILLED AND TWO SOLDIERS WOUNDED BY VEHICLE ROLLOVER
- Nimitz Strike Group Concludes Persian Gulf Operations Navy NewsStand 25 Sep 2005 -- USS Nimitz (CVN 68) and Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 11 concluded nine weeks of supporting Maritime Security Operations (MSO) in the Persian Gulf Sept. 22, when the ship transited the Strait of Hormuz into the Indian Ocean.
- Bomber Hits Iraqi Police Convoy, 9 Dead VOA 25 Sep 2005 -- A suicide car bomber in the Iraqi capital has struck a convoy carrying an elite Iraqi police unit, killing at least nine people, most of them anti-terror commandos.
- Bombings Continue In Iraq RFE/RL 25 Sep 2005 -- Police in Iraq say a suicide bomber on a motorbike killed himself and six other people when he detonated his bomb today in the mainly Shi'ite city of Musayyib.
- U.S. Soldier Killed, Two Wounded in Vehicle Accident in Iraq AFPS 25 Sep 2005 -- One U.S. soldier was killed and two wounded when their vehicle rolled over while conducting a combat logistics patrol at about 2:30 p.m. today near Trebil, Iraq.
- Coalition, Iraqi Forces Record Successes Against Insurgents AFPS 25 Sep 2005 -- Iraqi and coalition forces have scored several successes against insurgent forces in Iraq in recent days.
- Iraqi, U.S. Forces bring calm following recent attack MNF-I 25 Sep 2005 -- Coalition and Iraqi security forces came under fire in Sadr City in the early morning hours Sept. 25.
- Israel Assassinates Islamic Jihad Leader VOA 25 Sep 2005 -- Israel has assassinated an Islamic Jihad leader in the Gaza Strip, prompting another militant group to suspend rocket attacks.
- CH-47 CRASHES SOUTHWEST OF DEH CHOPAN CENTCOM 25 Sep 2005 -- A U.S. military CH-47 Chinook helicopter crashed southwest of Deh Chopan today.
- FOLLOW-ON RELEASE CH-47 CRASHES SOUTHWEST OF DEH CHOPAN CENTCOM 25 Sep 2005 -- A U.S. military CH-47 Chinook helicopter crashed southwest of Deh Chopan today killing all five crewmembers onboard.
- News About Vote Counting Released In Afghanistan RFE/RL 25 Sep 2005 -- Voting officials gave an update on the status of vote counting in Afghanistan's parliamentary and provincial council elections held one week ago today.
- Air Force Crews Combing Coast; Other Military Assets Providing Aid AFPS 25 Sep 2005 -- U.S. Air Force search-and-rescue crews have been combing the Gulf Coast since the afternoon of Sept. 24, and the Air Force's auxiliary volunteer force continues to assist in aerial damage assessment, while a variety of other specialized units continue to meet the needs of the areas affected by Hurricane Rita.
- Post-Hurricane Recovery Efforts Taking Shape in Texas, Louisiana VOA 25 Sep 2005 -- One day after Hurricane Rita pummeled a huge swath of territory covering East Texas and Louisiana, the needs of the region are being assessed, and initial recovery efforts are moving forward.
- President monitors Hurricane Rita operations at Randolph AFPN 25 Sep 2005 -- President George W. Bush concluded an overnight visit here Sept. 25 where he received a briefing about the military's role in the aftermath of Hurricane Rita.
- Air Force continues Hurricane Rita support AFPN 25 Sep 2005 -- In response to Hurricane Rita, the Air Force has flown 82 missions supporting evacuation, relief and recovery operations.
- Civil Air Patrol plays key role in hurricane disaster relief AFPN 25 Sep 2005 -- With Hurricane Rita having passed through Texas and Louisiana, Civil Air Patrol units from the two states are working to provide aerial damage assessments, transporting officials and supplies, and conducting search and rescue missions.
- Iwo Jima Begins Hurricane Rita Relief Ops Navy NewsStand 24 Sep 2005 -- Hurricane Rita disaster relief operations began Sept. 25 on board USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7) when helicopters from embarked squadrons left for the coastal regions of Louisiana to perform search and rescue (SAR) operations and flood assessment missions.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Boeing Delta II Delivers First Modernized GPS Satellite to Orbit Boeing 25 Sep 2005 -- A Boeing [NYSE: BA] Delta II launch vehicle today successfully delivered the first of the modernized Block IIR Global Positioning System (GPS) satellites to space for the U.S. Air Force.
- Israel Expands Raids in Gaza and West Bank VOA 25 Sep 2005 -- Israeli forces have launched a second day of air strikes in the Gaza Strip, and arrested more than 200 members of Hamas and the Islamic Jihad in the West Bank
- Israeli Airstrike Hits Car in Gaza, Two Palestinians Killed VOA 25 Sep 2005 -- Palestinian witnesses say an Israeli airstrike on a car in the Gaza Strip has killed two Palestinians and wounded at least two others.
- Thailand Steps Up Search for Killers of Two Marines VOA 25 Sep 2005 -- Thai security forces have widened the search for the killers of two Marines beaten to death in the restive south of the country last week.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|