31 July 2005 Military News
- Task Force Liberty Soldiers foil IED emplacement MNF-I 31 Jul 20005 -- Task Force Liberty Soldiers detained three terrorists after observing them attempting to emplace a roadside bomb in Samarra July 30.
- Marines fight terrorists near Haditha MNF-I 31 Jul 2005 -- Coalition forces engaged terrorists one mile southeast of Haditha early July 31.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Uzbekistan: U.S. Confirms End Of Air Base Agreement With Tashkent RFE/RL 31 Jul 20005 -- U.S. officials have confirmed that they have been asked to withdraw all U.S. military forces from the Karshi-Khanabad air base in southern Uzbekistan, which has served as a hub for U.S.-led coalition missions in Afghanistan since shortly after the terrorist attacks of 11 September 2001.
- Pakistan confirms to receive US fighter jets IRNA 31 Jul 20005 -- The Pakistan Air Force (PAF) on Sunday confirmed reports that it will be receiving two F-16 fighter planes from the United States in near future.
- Sudanese Vice President Garang Reportedly Killed in Helicopter Crash VOA News 31 Jul 2005 -- A United Nations official says Sudan's First Vice President John Garang has been killed in a helicopter crash in Uganda.
- Israel Threatens Retaliation if Palestinians Attack During Gaza Pullout VOA 31 Jul 20005 -- Israel is warning of harsh retaliation if it is attacked by Palestinians during the upcoming pullout from the Gaza Strip.
- New Lebanese Prime Minister Visits Syria to Improve Relations VOA 31 Jul 20005 -- Lebanon's new prime minister is visiting Damascus for talks with Syrian leaders aimed a improving relations. Just a day earlier, the first government formed since Syria's withdrawal from Lebanon won a vote of confidence in Parliament
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|