30 July 2005 Military News
- Death Toll Rises To 40 From Northern Iraq Suicide Attack RFE/RL 30 Jul 2005 -- Police say the number of people killed by the 29 July suicide bomb attack at a military-recruitment center in northern Iraq has risen to at least 40.
- Attack On British Consulate Convoy In Iraq Kills Two RFE/RL 30 Jul 2005 -- A British consulate convoy was hit by a roadside bomb in the southern Iraqi city of Al-Basrah today, killing two British security guards.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Uzbekistan Terminates US Air Base Agreement VOA 30 Jul 2005 -- Uzbek officials have formally terminated an agreement allowing the United States to use an air base in southeastern Uzbekistan, ending a nearly four year old deal under which the United States was able to provide support for U.S. operations in Afghanistan
- Palestinian Security Plan To Ensure Peaceful Israeli Pullout from Gaza VOA 30 Jul 2005 -- The Palestinian Authority has unveiled a security plan for maintaining order during Israel's upcoming withdrawal from the Gaza Strip. But Israel is suspicious of a Palestinian request for weapons and ammunition
- Indian Troops Fighting Islamic Militants in Kashmir VOA 30 Jul 2005 -- In Indian Kashmir, there have been fierce clashes between Islamic militants and security forces
- UN Urges Kyrgyz Not To Return Uzbek Refugees RFE/RL 30 Jul 2005 -- The United Nations' top human rights official has appealed to Kyrgyzstan not to hand over to Tashkent refugees who fled after Uzbek troops crushed an uprising in the east of the country in mid-May, suggesting they could face torture if they are repatriated.
- Russia Begins Military Pullout From Georgia RFE/RL 30 Jul 2005 -- Russia today began withdrawing its troops from bases in Georgia, marking a key step in resolving a long-standing dispute between Tbilisi and Moscow.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|