05 June 2005 Military News
- Kearsarge, Carl Vinson AIMDs Demonstrate Teamwork Underway Navy NewsStand 05 Jun 2005 -- The amphibious assault ship USS Kearsarge (LHD 3) and the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) teamed up to provide mutual technical support and maintain mission readiness while underway in the Persian Gulf May 19.
- Afghanistan Lists Possible Candidates For September Polls RFE/RL 05 Jun 2005 -- Afghan officials have published the names of more than 6,000 candidates who want to run in parliamentary and local elections in September.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Piracy in Straits Highlights Need for Maritime Security AFPS 05 Jun 2005 -- In this part of the world, piracy is a real and deadly peril.
- Right-wing Israelis Step Up Protests against Gaza Pullout VOA 05 Jun 2005 -- Jewish settlers and their supporters are escalating protests against the Israeli government's plan to pull out of the Gaza Strip this summer.
- South Lebanon Heads to the Polls for Parliamentary Elections VOA 05 Jun 2005 -- Voters in southern Lebanon go to the polls Sunday in the second round of the country's parliamentary elections. These elections mark the first time in 30 years that Lebanese are voting without Syrian troops in the country. In the first round last Sunday in Beirut, candidates opposed to Syria won all the seats
- Chad Expected to Remove Term Limits Amid Oil Wealth VOA 05 Jun 2005 -- Chadians will vote in a referendum on removing presidential term limits Monday. The vote, which the opposition and outside observers fear is being rigged, comes as Chad is getting more and more oil revenue from a World Bank-funded pipeline.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|