The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Military

UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
Monday 30 May 2005

DRC: Thousands flee following attack

KINSHASA, 30 May 2005 (IRIN) - At least 6,000 civilians have fled following an attack last week in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) where 19 civilians were killed and scores of others wounded and taken hostage by Rwandan Hutu rebels.

"Most of the displaced people are women and children in fear of further attacks," Rachelle Scott, the head of public information in the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, told IRIN on Monday.

The displaced fled Nindja, a village in the territory of Walungu in the eastern province of South Kivu after the attack. Many sought refuge in the nearby village of Ihembe and began receiving humanitarian aid late last week, she said.

According to the UN Mission in the DRC (MONUC), the perpetrators of the violence were an armed group of mostly Rwandan Hutus rebel known as the Rastas.

The acting deputy provincial governor, Didas Kaningini, said that many of the displaced had said members of another Rwandan Hutu rebel group, the Forces démocratiques de libération du Rwanda, also took part in the attack.

[ENDS]

This material comes to you via IRIN, a UN humanitarian information unit, but may not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations or its agencies. If you re-print, copy, archive or re-post this item, please retain this credit and disclaimer. Quotations or extracts should include attribution to the original sources. All materials copyright © UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs 2005



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list