'Operation Cobweb' Targets Enemy in Iraq's Wasit Province
American Forces Press Service
The 1st Polish Brigade Combat Team, the 8th Iraqi Division and the 19th Iraqi Brigade participated in the operation, officials said.
A written statement from Multinational Force Iraq said the operation had "liquidated" the terrorist group that had been operating in southern Baghdad.
Twenty-nine suspects were detained; 40 kinds of guns were confiscated; and explosive materials and clockwork time fuses were found along with films of the murders of Iraqi Interior Ministry officials and other materials concerning anti-coalition and anti-Iraqi government activities, officials said. Uniforms that were used during executions also were found.
In other news from Iraq, Iraqi security forces and soldiers from 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Stryker Brigade Combat Team), detained 17 suspected terrorists in northern Iraq May 10 and today.
- Troops from the 22nd Battalion, 6th Brigade Iraqi Intervention Force, alongside U.S. soldiers from 1st Battalion, 24th Infantry Regiment, detained four suspected terrorists during a cordon-and-search operation in western Mosul.
- Iraqi police arrested two curfew violators while patrolling in southern Mosul.
- Troops from the 3rd Division Iraqi Army detained a suspected terrorist northeast of Tal Afar.
- Soldiers from 2nd Squadron, 14th Cavalry Regiment, detained four suspected terrorists during operations southwest of Tal Afar.
- Multinational forces detained four more west of the city.
- Soldiers from the 1-24th detained two suspects in western Mosul.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|