22 May 2005 Military News
- Engine problem causes helicopter emergency landing MNF-I 22 May 2005 -- An engine problem forced pilots of a CH-47 helicopter to conduct an emergency landing early May 22 south of Samarra .
- Operation Peninsula nets 184 terror suspects MNF-I 22 May 2005 -- Polish and Iraqi Soldiers nabbed 184 terror suspects and seized weapons parts, ammunition, possible bomb-making materials and propaganda in As Suwaryah May 19 and 20.
- US Memo Faults Karzai on Afghan Anti-Drug Effort VOA News 22 May 2005 -- A U.S. newspaper report says some U.S. officials are critical of Afghan President Hamid Karzai's efforts to curtail Afghanistan's huge heroin trade.
- U.S. Warplanes Kill 12 Insurgents; Afghan Border Unit Scores Drug Bust AFPS 22 May 2005 -- U.S. warplanes killed 12 insurgents after the individuals attacked a coalition patrol east of Gayan, in Afghanistan's Paktika province, late May 21. One U.S. soldier was wounded during the incident.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S. House Debates Role of Women in Combat VOA 22 May 2005 -- A debate is raging in the U.S. House of Representatives over a provision in a defense bill that would limit the role of women in direct ground combat.
- Kearsarge Air Department Hits 2,000 Evolutions for April Navy NewsStand 22 May 2005 -- The amphibious assault ship USS Kearsarge's (LHD 3) Air Department performed more than 2,000 mishap-free flight deck evolutions for the month of April 2005.
- Shan Armies Merge to Fight Military Junta VOA News 22 May 2005 -- Rebel fighters with the Shan State National Army in Burma have joined forces and merged with the Shan State Army, in an effort to reinvigorate their five-decade struggle for independence against Burma's military government.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|