05 May 2005 Military News
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Marine Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Transcript: Defense Department Regular Briefing05 May 2005 -- Lawrence Di Rita, Pentagon Spokesman; and Lieutenant General James T. Conway, Director, Operations, Joint Staff
- Twenty-two detained near Bayji MNF-I/MNC-I 05 May 2005 -- Task Force Liberty Soldiers detained 22 suspects involved in an indirect fire attack on a Coalition Forces base near Bayji after 9 p.m. May 4.
- Up-Armored 'Gun Trucks' Save Servicemembers' Lives In Iraq AFPS 05 May 2005 -- New 5-ton armored "gun trucks" fielded in Iraq are providing U.S. troops with effective protection against insurgents' improvised explosive devices and small-arms fire, a senior military researcher said today on Capitol Hill.
- U.S. pilots train Iraqi counterparts to fly C-130 Hercules AFPN 05 May 2005 -- U.S. pilots are training their Iraqi counterparts to fly three C-130 Hercules the Iraqi air force received from the Department of Defense.
- 5th CAG, 3/25 assists citizens of Haqlaniyah, Iraq USMC News 05 May 2005 -- The Marines navigated the streets near the riverside here bearing Beanie Babies, school supplies and soccer balls.
- VMFA-314 Ordnance shop keeps pilots flying high, Marines alive USMC News 05 May 2005 -- One of the main objectives of Marine fighter attack aircraft is to assist ground troops in combat operations.
- 3/4 cripples terrorists on strategic level USMC News 05 May 2005 -- Multiple companies of Iraqi soldiers and more than 200 Marines with 3rd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment conducted Operation Southern Advance, April 24-28.
- 26th MEU Marines keep sharp in Arabian Gulf USMC News 05 May 2005 -- "This is fast rope, not slow rope," shouts a helicopter rope suspension training master from a ledge 20 feet above the flight deck of the amphibious transport dock USS Ponce (LPD 15).
- Afghanistan: Blast Highlights Difficulties In Disarmament Process RFE/RL 05 May 2005 -- An official investigation has been launched in Afghanistan into a massive explosion at a local commander's secret ammunition cache on 2 May that left many dead. The commander was supposed to have been disarmed under a nationwide UN-sponsored Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration (DDR) process, aimed at demobilizing the various Afghan warring factions and seizing all weapons in their possession.
- US House Approves Military Funding for Iraq and Afghanistan VOA 05 May 2005 -- The U.S. House of Representatives (in a 368 to 58 vote) has given final approval to a bill to fund military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. The measure would also tighten immigration law
Defense Policy / Programs
- BRAC 2005: DoD Briefs Commissioners on Strategy Concerns AFPS 05 May 2005 -- Base realignment and closure commissioners heard about the strategic underpinnings of the Defense Department's approach during May 4 testimony.
- BRAC 2005: Force Structure, Military Value at Heart of BRAC AFPS 05 May 2005 -- The U.S. military fighting the war on terrorism is far different from the military forces developed to confront the Soviet Union.
- Carlisle War Game Contemplates 'What If' Factor AFPS 05 May 2005 -- Army Gen. George S. Patton is reputed to have said, "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
- Army releases findings in detainee-abuse investigations Army News Release 05 May 2005 -- Today, in a continuing effort to keep the public informed, the Army released a portion of findings from a series of exhaustive investigations into detainee and interrogation operations.
- Army hands over Strykers to Air Force AFPN 05 May 2005 -- With a handshake and the roar of a jet engine at Fort Polk, La., an Eielson unit became the first in the Air Force to own the latest addition to the service's inventory - the Stryker armored vehicle.
- Cope Thunder wraps in Alaska AFPN 05 May 2005 -- Cope Thunder participants used Eielson's 62,000 square miles of training airspace and met their objective: to fly, fight and win during Pacific Air Force's premier combat airpower exercise that ends May 6.
- EOD Mobile Unit 6 Det. 10 Returns Home Navy NewsStand 05 May 2005 -- Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Mobile Unit 6 Det. 10 returned from deployment aboard USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) to Naval Station Norfolk, Va., April 18.
- Navy, UH Studying Dolphins to Improve Sonar Navy NewsStand 05 May 2005 -- Professionals and students from the University of Hawaii (UH) are currently studying dolphin hearing and echolocation - the use of sound waves to "see" - to help the Navy improve mining and sonar techniques and make the oceans safer for marine mammals.
- White House Daily Briefing, May 5 Washington File 05 May 2005 -- Bush phones Chinese President Hu, Bush/Obasanjo meeting, Charles Taylor/extradition, Social Security/reform, North Korea, Sudan, Bolton/document requests, Al Qaeda/terrorist arrest, Treasury bonds, Palestinian Authority, National Day of Prayer, British elections, Russia/Palestinian Authority, Latvia, energy prices
- State Department Briefing, May 5 Washington File 05 May 2005 -- Vietnam, Togo, Nigeria, Colombia, Department/naming of Human Rights Envoy, Bolton/nomination, Harvard Study/nuclear proliferation, Lebanon/Syria, Israel/Palestinian Authority, Tunisia, Brazil, Italy, Iran
- BAE SYSTEMS Receives Order From US Marine Corps For Expeditionary Assault Launch Mechanism BAE Systems 05 May 2005 -- BAE Systems today announced the creation of a new world-class systems integration and C4ISR business, BAE Systems Integrated System Technologies (Insyte), through bringing together AMS UK and BAE Systems C4ISR Networked Systems and Solutions businesses. The creation of the new business has enabled BAE Systems to bring its systems integration activities into one significant, wholly owned business. The new company operates in the areas of joint, naval, land and air systems and Homeland Security.
- EADS North America Announces Finalist Sites For U.S. Aerial Refueling Tanker Industrial Facility EADS 05 May 2005 -- EADS North America’s competition to select a U.S. industrial site to support the KC-330 advanced tanker program has been narrowed to locations in four states, which have been asked to provide additional information in a Request for Proposal (RFP) issued today.
- General Dynamics Awarded $900 Million Contract for Production of 2.75-Inch Rockets General Dynamics 05 May 2005 -- General Dynamics Armament and Technical Products, a business unit of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), was awarded a five-year indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity contract with an estimated value of $900 million from the U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Command, Redstone Arsenal, Ala., for the production of 2.75-inch Hydra-70 rockets, motors and warheads.
- HEAD OF AIR MOBILITY COMMAND AT THE CONTROLS FOR C-130J SUPER HERCULES DELIVERY FLIGHT Lockheed Martin 05 May 2005 -- Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] today delivered a third C-130J Super Hercules to Little Rock Air Force Base, Ark. At the controls was Gen. John W. Handy, commander, U.S. Transportation Command, and commander, Air Mobility Command, Scott Air Force Base, Ill.
- Lockheed Martin Successful in Two Dual Mode Guided Bomb Tests Lockheed Martin 05 May 2005 -- Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] successfully tested Dual Mode Guided Bombs (DMGB) at the U.S. Navy’s China Lake test range. The weapons were released from Navy aircraft and maneuvered through controlled flight and target impact as planned, achieving mission success.
- LOCKHEED MARTIN CHOSEN AS WEAPON SYSTEM INTEGRATOR Lockheed Martin 05 May 2005 -- - Lockheed Martin (NYSE:LMT) said today it had been selected by General Atomics as weapon system integrator for the High Energy Liquid Laser Area Defense System (HELLADS).
- Northrop Grumman Successfully Demonstrates Kinetic Energy Interceptors Missile Defense Battle Management Capabilities Northrop Grumman 05 May 2005 -- Last month, Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) successfully demonstrated two key battle management capabilities for the new Kinetic Energy Interceptors (KEI) missile-defense program, ahead of schedule.
- Lockheed Martin Awarded Five-Year Contract For U.S. Marine Corps Live Fire Training System Lockheed Martin 05 May 2005 -- Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT) has been awarded a five-year contract to provide live fire training systems to the U.S. Marine Corps' Air Ground Task Force Training Command at the 29 Palms Training Range in California. The initial contract value is $3.7 million, with a potential five-year value of $17.1 million if all options are exercised.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESMAN FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 05 May 2005
- COTE D IVOIRE: UN grants another one-month extension to peacekeeping force IRIN 05 May 2005 -- The United Nations Security Council has again extended the mission of peacekeepers in Cote d'Ivoire by just one month, giving it more time to discuss a request for troop reinforcements by Secretary-General Kofi Annan.
- Annan calls for mandate of UN mission in Sierra Leone to be extended until December UN News Centre 05 May 2005 -- The Government of Sierra Leone has made progress towards meeting the benchmarks for the withdrawal of the United Nations peacekeeping mission, Secretary-General Kofi Annan says in a new report to the Security Council in which he recommends extending the mission's mandate until the end of the year.
- US Lawmakers Urge Ethiopia, Eritrea To Settle Border Dispute VOA 05 May 2005 -- U.S. lawmakers are urging Ethiopia and Eritrea to lay aside differences and work for stability and economic progress in the Horn of Africa. The comments came during a congressional hearing (Thursday) focusing on both countries
- U.N. Security Council Presses for Lebanese Elections Washington File 05 May 2005 -- The U.N. Security Council May 4 recognized the positive developments under way in Lebanon and urged all parties to move ahead with disarming militias and holding elections as scheduled.
- Uzbekistan Pulls Out Of GUUAM RFE/RL 05 May 2005 -- The Uzbek government has informed Moldovan President Vladimir Voronin that the country is formally pulling out of GUUAM.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|