02 April 2005 Military News
- MARINE KILLED IN AL ANBAR PROVINCE
- Insurgents launch attacks on Camp Abu Ghraib MNF-I/MNC-I 02 Apr 2005 -- Multi National Force-Iraq repelled an attack by 40-60 insurgents on Forward Operating Base Abu Ghraib April 2 at approximately 7 p.m.
- Task Force Liberty Soldiers detain two in Hawija MNF-I/MNC-I 02 Apr 2005 -- Task Force Liberty Soldiers detained two people following an unsuccessful attack on a Coalition Forces base near Hawija.
- Number of Anti-coalition Attacks Goes Up in Afghanistan AFPS 02 Apr 2005 -- The number and severity of attacks against Afghan and coalition forces have increased compared to the winter, a coalition spokeswoman noted April 2.
- AFGHAN / TALEBAN RESURGENCE VOA 02 Apr 2005 -- The U.S-led military coalition in Afghanistan says the number of attacks against foreign and local troops have increased in the past couple of months. The statement comes as insurgents killed three truck drivers taking vehicles to American forces in Southern Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S., Albanian Recovery Teams Continue to Work at Crash Site AFPS 02 Apr 2005 -- U.S. and Albanian rescue and recovery teams are working continuously at the site of the U.S. MC-130H crash, located approximately 35 miles southeast of Tirana, Albania.
- Iran's defense minister meets with Turkey defense official IRNA 02 Apr 2005 -- Iran's Defense Minister Ali Shamkhani on his way to Algeria stopped briefly in Ankara airport on Saturday and met with a senior official of Turkey defense ministry.
- IVORY COAST /TALKS VOA 02 Apr 2005 -- Before the start of South African mediated peace talks to try to unite divided Ivory Coast, warring sides say they have little trust in the other. Although Ivorians hope for peace, they see renewed war as the only alternative if mediation in Pretoria fails.
- PALESTINIANS/SECURITY VOA 02 Apr 2005 -- The Palestinian leader is shaking up his security forces, after they failed to stem a new wave of armed chaos in the West Bank.
- Vatican: Pope John Paul II is Dead VOA 02 Apr 2005 -- The Vatican says the pope died at 9:37 pm local time - 1937 Universal Time.
- Kyrgyz Court Proposes Constitutional Changes RFE/RL 02 Apr 2005 -- The head of Kyrgyzstan's Constitutional Court said changes must be made to the country's constitution in order to remedy what she called "flaws and omissions" in the current version.
- Kyrgyzstan: Delegation Due in Moscow As Akaev Signals Agreement to Resign RFE/RL 02 Apr 2005 -- Kyrgyz officials said today that ousted President Askar Akaev has given his verbal agreement to resign from office without returning to Kyrgyzstan.
- INDONESIA/CHOPER CRASH VOA 02 Apr 2005 -- An Australian Navy helicopter delivering aid to survivors of the earthquake that struck near the Indonesian island of Nias Monday has crashed, with 11 people on board.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|