06 March 2005 Military News
- Task Force Liberty raid captures suspected IED maker MNF-I/MNC-I 06 Mar 2005 -- A Task Force Liberty raid was responsible for the capture of a suspected improvised-explosive-device maker in Jisr Naft, Diyala Province, about 7 p.m., March 5
- UN announces end of heavy weapons collection in Afghanistan's Panjshir Valley UN News Centre 07 Mar 2005 -- The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) today announced the completion of heavy weapons collection in the Panjshir Valley, declaring the area free of all known working or repairable forms of those arms.
Defense Policy / Programs
- SOUTH ASIA/TSUNAMI COST VOA 06 Mar 2005 -- The first hard figures are coming in on the cost of rebuilding areas of South Asian hit by the December 26th tsunami.
- ISRAEL/SYRIA VOA 06 Mar 2005 -- Israel is stepping up pressure on Syria, after its president, Bashar Assad, declared Syrian troops would be re-deployed from coastal and central Lebanon to the Bekaa Valley. Israel believes a Lebanon free of Syrian occupation would be good for the peace process.
- LEBANON / SYRIA VOA 06 Mar 2005 -- The Lebanese defense minister says Syria will begin redeploying its 14-thousand troops Monday in Lebanon.
- MOLDOVA/ELECTIONS VOA 06 Mar 2005 -- In Moldova's parliamentary elections, opinion polls predict the ruling pro-Western Communists will retain power, an outcome that is likely to receive a cool reception from Moldova's largest neighbor, Russia
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|