22 May 2004 Military News
- 1st Armored Division Soldier Killed in Attack
- DoD Identifies Marine Casualty
- Transcript: Coalition Provisional Authority Briefing 22 May 2004 -- Brigadier General Mark Kimmitt, Deputy Director For Coalition Operations; and Dan Senor, Senior Adviser, CPA
- Suicide Car Bomb Injures Iraqi Official, Coalition Continues Operations AFPS 22 May 2004 -- A suicide car bomb exploded outside a senior Iraqi's home in Baghdad today, killing three bodyguards and one woman and heavily damaging 22 vehicles, reported Army Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt at a Baghdad news briefing today.
- No Wedding Party, Children's Deaths Indicated, Military Spokesman Says AFPS 22 May 2004 -- There are no indications a wedding party took place at a remote desert site in western Iraq near the Syrian border where U.S. forces are accused of killing about 20 people May 19, including women and children, a senior military spokesman said today.
- IRAQ / BOMBING VOA 22 May 2004 -- In Baghdad, a suicide bomber detonated a car packed with explosives outside the home of a senior Iraqi official Saturday, slightly injuring him but killing several members of his security team. The bombing was the second this week to target an Iraqi official belonging to a prominent Shiite Muslim political party.
- Reports Of Karbala Deal Quashed RFE/RL 22 May 2004 -- A top aide to Muqtada al-Sadr effectively dismissed reports of a deal to halt fighting in the city of Karbala, saying fighters loyal to the Shi'a cleric will end their armed presence in Al-Najaf and Karbala only after it is clear that U.S. troops have withdrawn from the Iraqi holy cities.
- EXPLOSION KILLS FIVE IRAQIS, WOUNDS ONE CENTCOM Release 22 May 2004-- Initial reports indicate that five Iraqis were killed and one wounded as a result of a suspected car bomb attack on the home of an Iraqi government official in eastern Baghdad around 8 a.m. May 22.
- VMA-542, VMA-214 bring Marine attack jets to Iraq Marine Corps News 22 May 2004-- Marine Attack Squadrons 542 and 214, Marine Aircraft Group 16, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing, arrived here in the mid-afternoon hours and throughout the night of May 18, to augment the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force missions throughout Western Iraq.
- U.S. Ups Number Of Probes Into Prisoner Abuse RFE/RL 22 May 2004 -- The Pentagon says it has investigated the deaths of 37 detainees held by U.S. forces in Iraq and Afghanistan since August 2002.
- Pakistan Tells Foreign Fighters To Surrender RFE/RL 22 May 2004 -- Senior Pakistani military officials have repeated their demand that hundreds of Al-Qaeda-linked fighters near the Afghan border surrender to government authorities.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Northrop Grumman Lays the Keel for Virginia-Class Submarine Northrop Grumman 22 May 2004 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) hosted a keel laying ceremony today for the Virginia-class submarine North Carolina (SSN 777) at its Newport News sector. U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Dole of North Carolina served as the keynote speaker for the ceremony.
- SIERRA LEONE/ELECTION VOA 22 May 2004 -- Polls closed in Sierra Leone's municipal elections Saturday, with no incidents of violence reported.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|