28 December 2003 Military News
- IRAQ/VIOLENCE VOA 28 Dec 2003 -- A roadside bomb attack in central Baghdad has killed two Iraqi children and a U-S soldier. Correspondent Challiss McDonough reports from Baghdad the attack also wounded five other Americans, their Iraqi interpreter, and eight members of the Iraqi Civil Defense Corps.
- AFGHANISTAN BLAST VOA 28 Dec 2003 -- Five Afghan security officers have been killed by a terrorist who blew himself up following his arrest.
- Afghanistan: Loya Jirga Prepares To Approve Constitution RFE/RL 28 Dec 2003 -- Delegates to Afghanistan's Constitutional Loya Jirga, or grand council, are preparing to vote today on a draft which reportedly endorses a presidential form of government as favored by Transitional Administration Chairman Hamid Karzai (pictured).
- FIRST AMERICAN AIRCRAFT LANDS IN KERMAN, IRAN CENTCOM Release 28 Dec 2003-- Just after midnight local time, the first American aircraft landed in Kerman, Iran, with 20 pallets of humanitarian aid destined for the earthquake-stricken residents of Bam.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U-N/LIBERIA VOA 28 Dec 2003 -- U-N peacekeepers in Liberia have entered rebel-held territory for the first time as part of efforts to disarm tens-of-thousands of former fighters.
- GUATEMALA ELECT UPDATE VOA 28 Dec 2003 -- Voting has ended in Guatemala's presidential elections. Officials expect to release results over the next several hours.
- SERBIA/ELECTIONS UPDATE VOA 28 Dec 2003 -- Projections from Serbia's parliamentary election show ultra-nationalists are expected to win the most votes, but not enough to control the legislature. Early results show the Serbian Radical Party winning 27 percent of the vote, well short of the number needed to take control of parliament from pro-democracy parties.
- Ariane Espace Press Release on successful AMOS 2 Launch Israel Aerospace Industries 28 Dec 2003 -- The AMOS 2 communications satellite, manufactured by Israel Aircraft Industries (IAI)'s MBT Space Division will be launched into orbit on December 27th, 2003, 23:30 (Israel time), by the Soyuz launch vehicle, from Baikonur, Kazakhstan. The launch operation is conducted by Starsem, a French-Russian venture for space launching.
- GUATEMALA ELECT VOA 28 Dec 2003 -- Guatemalans are casting their votes in a run-off presidential election between the top two vote-getters in the November ninth ballot. No candidate won more than the 50-percent of the vote needed to win the presidency outright last month.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|