WHO Removes Beijing From SARS Travel Advisory List
24 Jun 2003, 12:59 UTC
The World Health Organization says it has lifted a travelers' advisory for Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome in China's capital.
A top WHO official, Dr. Shigeru Omi, told reporters in Beijing Tuesday that the agency believes the city's efforts to control SARS are working, and that travel there is no longer dangerous. That means there are no SARS-related travel warnings left in the world - four months after the outbreak reached epidemic proportions. Hong Kong was taken off the travel advisory list on Monday.
In Beijing, the number of people hospitalized with SARS is now reported at just 43. SARS has killed at least 804 people worldwide since it emerged in southern China late last year.
The World Health Organization says it remains concerned about possible new transmissions of SARS in Taiwan and Toronto. They are the only two places where the WHO considers person-to-person transmission to still be happening.
People in Beijing are celebrating the end to the WHO SARS travel advisory. Airlines, hotels and other travel-related businesses also welcomed the announcement.
Some information for this report provided by AP, Reuters and AFP.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|