28 November 2002 Military News
- AFGHANISTAN / THANKSGIVING VOA 28 Nov 2002 -- U-S Special Forces soldier is in stable condition after being wounded by a sniper while on patrol in southern Afghanistan on Wednesday. The attack came one day before about seven thousand U-S troops and their allies were preparing to celebrate the U-S Thanksgiving holiday with specially prepared meals and other activities.
- RFE/RL Afghanistan Report, Vol 1, Number 1 28 Nov 2002 -- AFGHANISTAN'S EMERALDS / U.S. CONGRESSMAN PLEDGES NOT TO ABANDON AFGHANISTAN... / ...AS DOES GERMAN FOREIGN MINISTER / UN SECURITY COUNCIL EXTENDS ISAF MANDATE FOR ONE YEAR... / ...AS KARZAI LOBBIES FOR ISAF ROLE BEYOND KABUL / TURKISH ISAF COMMANDER URGES FOR COMMITMENT TO INTERNATIONAL SECURITY / AFGHAN OFFICIAL WELCOMES NATO'S DECISION TO SUPPORT ISAF... / ...AS ROMANIA SAYS ITS ROAD TO NATO RAN 'THROUGH KANDAHAR.' / AFGHAN ECONOMIST SAYS AFGHANS MUST REBUILD THE COUNTRY... / ...AND THE WORLD BANK AGREES / KARZAI APPOINTS COMMISSION FOR ESTABLISHMENT OF NATIONAL ASSEMBLY / GENERAL DOSTUM ORDERS ARMS COLLECTION / THIS WEEK IN AFGHANISTAN'S HISTORY
- ISRAEL / PALESTINIANS VOA 28 Nov 2002 -- Palestinian gunmen today shot dead at least four Israelis in a town in northern Israel, and injured more than 20 others
- KENYA / ISRAEL VOA 28 Nov 2002 -- At least 13 people have been killed, and scores more wounded in a car-bombing targeting Israeli tourists in Kenya. At the same time, two missiles were fired at, but missed, an Israeli airliner leaving Kenya
- ISRAEL / LIKUD VOA 28 Nov 2002 -- Israel's ruling Likud faction holds an internal ballot Thursday for the leadership of the party. Likud members are being asked to choose between the prime minister, Ariel Sharon and foreign minister, Benjamin Netanyahu. The winner will run for prime minister in national elections in January
- RUSSIA/CHECHNYA/REFUGEES VOA 28 Nov 2002 -- A top official in the breakaway region of Chechnya says (Thursday) refugees who return to Chechnya from camps in neighboring areas will receive financial help to resettle. But refugees say they are unwilling to return, as long as the fighting continues in Chechnya
Defense Policy / Programs
- Striking Fleet Atlantic Celebrates 50 Years Navy Newsstand 28 Nov 2002-- The Striking Fleet Atlantic staff opened a new chapter in their history Nov. 27, when they commemorated the command's first half-century in a ceremony aboard USS Bataan (LHD 5).
- HAVE LITE Records Successful test Rafael 28 Nov 2002 -- Lockheed Martin successfully conducted the first flight test of the lightweight version of the RAFAEL Popeye missile designated HAVE LITE, demonstrating the ability of a U.S. Air Force F-16 pilot to launch and control the weapon while also flying the aircraft.
- SHAPE NEWS MORNING UPDATE 28 Nov 2002 -- France moves to charge five in terror case, including suspect in Afghan opposition leader's assassination / U.S. raises fears at UN of Iraqi weapons-jamming / U.S. asks Hungary to let Iraqi opposition train / Greece to slow military spending by 2005, says defense minister / UN extends security force in Afghanistan for one year, with German-Dutch command for six months / Tribunal asks NATO to respond to request for intercepted communications / Macedonian (sic) court revokes arrest warrant for former rebel leader and other ethnic Albanians
- SHAPE NEWS SUMMARY & ANALYSIS VOA 28 Nov 2002 -- U.S. reportedly lobbying for Turk's aid in move on Iraq / U.S. presses EU to take Turkey as member / Israelis targeted in Kenya attacks
- ISRAEL-SHARON VOA 28 Nov 2002 -- Prime Minister Ariel Sharon won an easy election battle to retain the leadership of Israel's ruling Likud Party Thursday as his country was hit by successive terror attacks. Mr. Sharon swept the voting in an internal Likud election, defeating his challenger, Foreign Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, by at least 20 percentage points
- BUSH/KENYA/ISRAEL VOA 28 Nov 2002 -- President Bush has deplored the attack on Israeli tourists in Kenya. A group calling itself The Army of Palestine claimed responsibility for the suicide attack
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|