04 September 2002 Military News
- UNHCR / AFGHANISTAN VOA 04 Sept 2002-- The United Nations refugee agency, U-N-H-C-R, says nearly two million Afghans have returned home so far this year. Agency officials say this is the largest repatriation anywhere in the world since 1972, when almost 10 million Bengalis who had fled to East Pakistan returned to Bangladesh
- PAKISTAN/PRISONERS VOA 04 Sept 2002-- Authorities in Afghanistan have released 55 Pakistani prisoners accused of fighting alongside the ousted Taleban regime. They are among an estimated one thousand citizens of Pakistan held in Afghan jails
- PHILIPPINES TERROR SUSPECTS VOA 04 Sept 2002-- Philippine officials say that testimony from two suspects in a fatal Manila bombing two years ago has led them to two Malaysian men with alleged links to al-Qaida.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESMAN FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 04 Sep 2002
- PRESS BRIEFING BY SECURITY COUNCIL PRESIDENT United Nations 04 Sep 2002
- NGO PRESS BRIEFING ON INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT United Nations 04 Sep 2002
- ISRAEL-PALESTINIANS VOA 04 Sept 2002-- Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat says he accepts, in principle, a European Union plan for peace in the Middle East
Defense Policy / Programs
- Truman Battle Group Begins Exercise in Puerto Rico Navy News Stand 04 Sept 2002-- Ships and aircraft of the USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) Carrier Battle Group recently commenced use of the Vieques Island inner range in conjunction with their Composite Unit Training Exercise (COMPTUEX).
- Defense Information Systems Agency Awards Northrop Grumman $30 Million to Expand Defense Electronic Business eXchange Northrop Grumman 04 Sep 2002 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) has been awarded a blanket purchase agreement (BPA) by the Defense Information Systems Agency for the continuation of electronic commerce infrastructure support. The three-year agreement is worth $30 million to Northrop Grumman's Information Technology (IT) sector.
- Boeing Autometric's New Release of Softplotter Speeds Map Data Retrieval Boeing 04 Sep 2002 -- Critical information from maps and charts can be obtained more rapidly with Softplotter® 4.0, the latest version of Boeing Autometric's high-end photogrammetric software toolkit. Boeing Autometric, a global leader in geospatial information and technology solutions, is a unit of Boeing Integrated Defense Systems, a part of The Boeing Company [NYSE:BA].
- Boeing Autometric Mapping Software Providing Commercial Satellite Imagery for DoD Missions Boeing 04 Sep 2002 -- Imagery generated by DigitalGlobe's QuickBird satellite will be transformed by Boeing Autometric's high-end photogrammetric software toolkit, Softplotter®, in order to support mapping and intelligence missions performed for the Department of Defense, it was announced recently.
- COLIN POWELL on 9/11 VOA 04 Sept 2002-- THIS VOA EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH SECRETARY OF STATE COLIN POWELL IS EMBARGOED UNTIL SEPTEMBER 5TH. EXCERPTS, OR THE ENTIRE INTERVIEW CAN BE USED UP TO SEPTEMBER 11TH
- ATTACKS: POWELL / IRAN VOA 04 Sept 2002-- Secretary of State Colin Powell says there is evidence Iran is sheltering members of the al-Qaida terrorist organization. In a V-O-A conducted to coincide with the 9-11 anniversary, Mr. Powell maintained none-the-less that the United States is open to better relations with Tehran if it disassociates itself from terrorism and efforts to acquire weapons of mass destruction
- ATTACKS: POWELL / PAKISTAN VOA 04 Sept 2002-- Secretary of State Colin Powell, in a V-O-A interview on the 9-11 anniversary, has paid tribute to Pakistan's President Pervez Musharraf's support for the war against terrorism, though he says the United States is concerned about his unilateral amendments to the country's constitution
- BOSNIA / SREBRENICA VOA 04 Sept 2002-- The top international official in Bosnia has denounced a report by the Bosnian Serb government that claims far fewer Muslims were killed in the Bosnian city of Srebrenica in 1995 than was commonly reported
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|