23 August 2002 Military News
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESMAN FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 23 Aug 2002
- ISRAEL / PALESTINIANS VOA 23 Aug 2002-- Israeli troops have shot and killed two Palestinian men trying to infiltrate a Jewish settlement in the Gaza Strip
Defense Policy / Programs
- 24th MEU (SOC) set for departure Marine Corps News 23 Aug 2002-- After completing six months of rigorous training, the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable) is set to depart to the Mediterranean Sea. Since attaining the SOC designation in July, Marines and Sailors of the MEU have enjoyed a leave period to relax with their families, and make final preparations for their deployment.
- FRANK GAFFNEY on Saudia Arabia VOA 23 Aug 2002-- A senior member of the Saudi royal family is denying a report that Saudi investors recently withdrew 200-billion dollars from U-S markets -- fearing that their assets could be frozen. Prince al-Waleed bin Talal says there may have been some withdrawals, but not on the scale reported by the Financial Times Wednesday. U-S-Saudi ties have been strained because the September 11th terror attacks involved at least 15 Saudi nationals. News Now's Rebecca Ward asked former U-S Assistant Secretary of Defense Frank Gaffney about alleged links between Saudi nationals and terrorism.
- Franks Thanks Uzbekistan for Anti-Terror Efforts, Saving 'Many Lives' Washington File 23 Aug 2002-- Although "very positive" about the progress made in the counter-terrorist operations in Afghanistan, the Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. Central Command and Operation Enduring Freedom believes that "there is much remaining to be done."
- ATTACKS: TERRORISM ORIGINS VOA 23 Aug 2002-- Since the September 11th terrorist attacks on New York and Washington last year, scientists have stepped up research into what makes a person become a terrorist, and why some are willing to undertake suicide missions
- SHAPE NEWS MORNING UPDATE 23 Aug 2002-- US Senator McCain sees 'big bang' NATO enlargement
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|