16 August 2002 Military News
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESMAN FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 16 Aug 2002
- LIBERIA/FIGHTING VOA 16 Aug 2002-- In Liberia, there are conflicting reports about who is in control of the northern rebel base town of Voinjama. Liberian defense officials say government troops captured the town, following what they say was a fierce gun battle this week. Rebels deny the claim, and witnesses in Voinjama on Friday said the insurgents retained control of the town
- U.S. Comments on Israeli Use of Human Shields Washington File 16 Aug 2002-- We have long maintained that non-combatants must not be put in harm's way and that all reasonable steps must be taken to safeguard civilian lives.
Defense Policy / Programs
- NUWC Newport Recognized for NESP Battle Group Training Support Navy News Stand 16 Aug 2002-- Naval Undersea Warfare Center (NUWC) Newport recently supported the USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 76) Battle Group by providing training on the Navy's Extremely High Frequency (EHF) Satellite Communications program (NESP) in preparation for the battle group's Inter Deployment Training Cycle.
- AF extends 14k mobilized Guard, Reserve members AFPN 16 Aug 2002-- The Air Force will be extending the mobilization of more than 14,000 Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve members into a second year because of the continuing requirements of operations Noble Eagle and Enduring Freedom.
- Disciplinary authority for friendly fire incident changed AFPN 16 Aug 2002-- Disciplinary authority over the April 17 friendly fire incident near Kandahar, Afghanistan, that resulted in the deaths of four Canadian paratroopers was passed Aug.16 to the U.S. Air Force's 8th Air Force commander, Lt. Gen. Bruce Carlson.
- Remembering close air support's humble beginnings AFPN 16 Aug 2002-- Even the most complex of systems often begin with a simple idea.
- JFK Battle Group Returns From Deployment Navy News Stand 16 Aug 2002-- More than 7,000 Sailors assigned to the ships and squadrons of the USS John F. Kennedy Aircraft Carrier Battle Group (CVBG) are returning to their East Coast homeports and bases this week, completing a six-month combat deployment in the Arabian Gulf, in addition to operations in the Mediterranean Sea and Atlantic Ocean
- NSWC Indian Head Demonstrates New Munitions Tracking System Navy News Stand 16 Aug 2002-- Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC) Indian Head recently demonstrated a new device that will aid warfighting commanders with near real-time information to monitor and track ammunition.
- Fire Scout Autonomous Unmanned System Successfully Demonstrates Payload Capabilities During Flight Test Northrop Grumman 16 Aug 2002 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation's (NYSE:NOC) Integrated Systems sector today successfully conducted the first inflight sensor payload demonstration of the U.S. Navy's RQ-8A Fire Scout vertical takeoff and landing tactical unmanned air vehicle system at Naval Air Weapons Station, China Lake, Calif.
- SHAPE NEWS MORNING UPDATE 16 Aug 2002-- NATO troops keep up hunt for Karadzic allies
- SHAPE NEWS SUMMARY & ANALYSIS 16 Aug 2002-- NATO winds down operation in Bosnian village to track down Karadzic
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|