21 April 2002 Military News
- PHILIPPINES / MILITARY VOA 21 Apr. 2002-- More than five-thousand troops from the United States and the Philippines are gearing up for Monday's start of almost two weeks of joint military exercises in the northern Philippines
- ISRAEL-PALESTINIANS VOA 21 Apr. 2002-- Israeli Prime Minister, Ariel Sharon says the current stage of his country's three-week military offensive against the West Bank is over. Mr. Sharon made his remarks as Israeli forces withdrew from most parts of the territory.
- POWELL / MIDEAST VOA 21 Apr. 2002-- U-S Secretary of State Colin Powell says he is pleased the Israeli withdrawal from Palestinian cities is well underway. But he says the situation is still serious
- Transcript: Powell Discusses Middle East Crisis on ABC's "This Week" Washington File 21 Apr. 2002-- POWELL: Well, we'll examine all of that. Of course the Israeli Defense Force is heavily supplied with US weapons, so any operation they conduct there are always US weapons involved. And as former President Carter noted, there are laws, and we are always examining those to make sure that use is consistent.
- Transcript: Powell Discusses Middle East Crisis on NBC's "Meet the Press" Washington File 21 Apr. 2002-- POWELL: I think what we have to do is resolve the two difficult situations at Chairman Arafat's headquarters in Mukataa and at the Church of the Nativity, and we're working that very hard this morning. We have a number of ideas in play that we put forward, that others have put forward, and I hope that we can find a nonviolent resolution. We must find a nonviolent resolution to the situation, both at the Church of the Nativity and at the Mukataa.
- Transcript: Powell Discusses Middle East Crisis on "Fox News Sunday" Washington File 21 Apr. 2002-- Powell: I've spoken four times in the last 24 hours with Assistant Secretary Burns, and we are deeply troubled at the situation in Jenin, just from the standpoint that there are people desperately in need. So we have authorized the shipment in the next 24 to 48 hours of some 800 family-size tents to help those people who lost their homes, enough water purification equipment to take care of 10,000 people every day, and we're sending in several, a little bit more than a thousand disease prevention kits to deal with the likelihood of some diseases taking root in this terrible situation.
- Transcript: Powell Discusses Middle East Crisis on CBS's "Face the Nation" Washington File 21 Apr. 2002-- Powell: I told Chairman Arafat that the United States stands ready, as always, to help, and to help even more, to be more aggressive in seeking that outcome, but only if there is a clear, clear signal, and clear action, on the part of the Palestinian leadership and the Palestinian people that they're moving away from terror and violence.
Defense Policy / Programs
- AUSTRALIA / TERROR VOA 21 Apr. 2002-- Australia warned Sunday that terrorists were being trained in Indonesia and other Southeast Asian countries, and it was working with the United States to combat the threat they pose to the region. Australia's Defense Minister Robert Hill said he did not expect Washington to use military force against the extremists
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|