The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW


NNS020201-08. John C. Stennis/Airwing 9 Team Takes Right Action During Emergency Divert

By Lt. Chito Peppler and Journalist 2nd Class David-Michael Ross, USS John C. Stennis Public Affairs

USS JOHN C. STENNIS, At Sea (NNS) -- An F/A-18 Hornet from the "Argonauts" of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 147 recently made an emergency landing at a forward-operating base, after its refueling basket became disconnected from an Air Force KC-10 during in-flight refueling operations, shattering the Hornet's canopy. The Hornet was conducting routine in-flight refueling during a combat mission in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.

Lt. Cmdr. Anthony Wright of VFA-147 immediately executed the appropriate response: slowing down and bringing the aircraft to an altitude below 12,000 feet.

Meanwhile, an airborne E-2C Hawkeye from the "Golden Hawks" of Carrier Airborne Early Warning Squadron (VAW) 112, with Lt. Nick Marusich as the controller, provided vectors to a forward-operating base and coordinated the divert.

The Hawkeye aircrew also conducted advance contact of the forward-operating base airfield to prepare for the Hornet's arrival. They contacted the ship, enabling the recovery effort to begin even before the damaged aircraft had landed.

With the canopy missing, Wright was faced with severe windblast and cold temperatures, as well as possible injury from the remaining 10-foot section of refueling hose still attached to the basket. Despite this, he safely flew his Hornet to the airfield, with his wingman, Lt. Greg Brown, providing mutual support and watching for ground threats.

"The main things to be concerned with in this situation are a ruptured eardrum due to rapid loss of cabin pressure; hypoxia due to loss of oxygen; windblast up to 250 miles per hour and frostbite with temperatures in excess of minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit," said Lt. Sean Skelton, Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 9's flight surgeon. "Lt. Cmdr. Wright was wearing his oxygen mask, was able to maintain positive control of the aircraft and did not suffer any symptoms of rapid pressure change. A Navy flight surgeon on the ground examined him after he landed and declared him to be in good health."

"It was extremely cold up there. I felt like I was driving a really expensive convertible at 12,000 feet, at 225 miles per hour. I had to slow the aircraft considerably to stop the hose from beating the aircraft to pieces, and reduce the extreme weather conditions," said Wright.

A rescue crew was immediately dispatched from USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74), comprised of personnel of the three Hornet squadrons, as well as three civilian technical representatives from the Naval Air Pacific Repair Activity (NAPRA) based in Okinawa, Japan. Upon arrival, the team immediately went to work removing the refueling basket and hose, replacing the canopy and patching more than 20 small holes. A complete "safe-for-flight verification" was conducted in less than four hours from the crews arrival in the forward-operating base. Within 24 hours of the incident, the F/A-18 was back in the air, returning safely to the deck of USS John C. Stennis.

"When we first saw the damage, it was obvious that the pilot did a tremendous job getting that jet down. It took a lot of courage for him not to eject," said Chief Aviation Electronics Technician (AW) Robert Palmer of Colorado Springs, Colo.

"I felt privileged to be asked to help, and it made me proud that the command had trust in me to assist in fixing the problem," said Aviation Structural Mechanic (Equipment) (AW) Jitendra Dutt of Hawthorne, Calif.

"Lt. Cmdr. Wright showed amazing poise and ability in his handling of this difficult emergency. His actions were commendable in a perfect environment and absolutely impressive when you factor in the extreme physical hardship of the wind forces and temperatures that he indured for the duration of his flight, " said Capt. Rolland Thompson, commander of CVW-9. "Equally impressive is the way the John C. Stennis/Airwing 9 team responded to this emergency. By any standard this was a textbook example of one team, one fight!" added Thompson.

"It was very exciting to see the teamwork that transpired. The performance of Lt. Cmdr. Wright and his wingman, the airborne E-2C Hawkeye, and the complete and expeditious work of the repair crew demonstrates firsthand the readiness of our air wing and battle group," said Rear Adm. James Zortman, commander of Carrier Group 7. "The men and women of the John C. Stennis Battle Group have worked hard for many months to prepare themselves for contingencies, and they performed superbly."

Join the mailing list