23 January 2000 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- INDONESIA UNREST Voice of America 23 January 2000 -- At least 22-people are dead and another 50 injured in the latest outbreak of religious violence in Indonesia's Maluku Province.
- U-N REFUGEE AIRLIFT Voice of America 23 January 2000 -- More than seven-thousand Angolans have fled to Kalabo in Western Zambia to escape intensified fighting between Angolan government and UNITA rebel forces.
- SAF/CONGO Voice of America 23 January 2000 -- South Africa is calling for the U-N Security Council to move quickly to deploy peacekeeping forces in Congo-Kinshasa, as the leaders of key countries involved in the Congo crisis prepare to discuss the faltering peace process.
- RUSSIA/CHECHNYA Voice of America 23 January 2000 -- A Kremlin official says the body of Major General Mikhail Malofeyev was found in Grozny, where he disappeared last week. At the time, the Chechens said they had captured General Malofeyev and were interrogating him.
- BURUNDI / REBELS Voice of America 23 January 2000 -- Burundi says rebels have killed at least 30 civilians and destroyed more than one-thousand homes in an attack near the Tanzanian border.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|