13 January 2000 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Boeing to Acquire Hughes' Space and Communications Businesses Boeing 13 Jan 2000 -- The Boeing Company (NYSE: BA) and Hughes Electronics Corporation (NYSE: GMH) announced that Boeing will acquire Hughes' space and communications business and related operations for a value of $3.75 billion in cash.
- 13 January 2000 - DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY OFFICE OF SPOKESMAN FOR SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 13 Jan 2000
- PRESS CONFERENCE ON INTERNALLY DISPLACED PERSONS United Nations 13 Jan 2000
- Text: UNSC Presidential Statement on African Refugees USIA 13 January 2000 -- The United Nations Security Council January 13 called on the international community to provide more funding for refugee and internally displaced programs in Africa.
- Text: UNHCR Ogata Security Council Remarks on Africa USIA 13 January 2000 -- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Sadako Ogata told the Security Council January 13 that the refugee situation in Africa is far worse than other parts of the world and deserves more attention from the international community.
- To Solve Africa's Refugee Problems, End Conflicts, Ogata Says By Judy Aita USIA 13 January 2000 -- If the international community is going to seriously deal with the refugee situation in Africa, the Security Council must intervene much more strongly and quickly to end the conflicts that cause the huge displacements of people on the continent, UN High Commissioner for Refugees Sadako Ogata said January 13.
- Text: Helsinki Commission Criticizes Russian Policy in Chechnya USIA 13 January 2000 -- The Chairman of the Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe (CSCE) -- also known as the Helsinki Commission -- condemned the announcement by the Russian military that it would keep in custody all Chechen males, ages 10 to 60 years old, to check their alleged associations with guerrilla groups.
- RUSSIA / CHECHNYA Voice of America 13 January 2000 -- Russian forces are blocking the passage of all Chechen civilian males more than 10-years old and under age-60 from entering or leaving the breakaway republic.
- U-N / SIERRA LEONE Voice of America 13 January 2000 -- A Sierra Leone delegation has told a United Nations committee that the government is taking action to try to improve the lives of children traumatized by the country's long-running civil war.
- Somali Human Rights Activist Urges Restoration of Democracy By Stuart Gorin USIA 13 January 2000 -- Attention needs to be paid to the role of the Somali civil society in producing a new generation of decision-makers to lead Somalia into the new millenium, says a noted Somali human rights activist.
- ALGERIA AMNESTY Voice of America 13 January 2000 -- In Algeria, a showdown is looming between government security forces and Islamist rebels, as a deadline expires for a government amnesty offer.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|