04 January 2000 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Lockheed Martin Receives $65 Million Contract For High Mobility Artillery Rocket System Lockheed Martin 04 Jan 2000 -- Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control - Dallas has been awarded a $65 million contract for High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) launchers. The U.S. Army Aviation & Missile Command is the contracting agency. The launchers will be produced at the company's facilities in Dallas, Texas, and in Camden, Ark. li>
- 4 January 2000 - DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY OFFICE OF SPOKESMAN FOR SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 04 Jan 2000
- IN 24 HOURS, FEDERAL AVIATION MADE CLOSE TO FIFTY FLIGHTS TO DESTROY REBEL INSTALLATIONS 04.01.2000 RIA Novosti Attack planes SU-24 and bombers SU-25 have delivered strikes at groups of rebels in Grozny and around the villages of Avtury, Khacharoi, Tumkala, Shalazhi and Orekhovo.
- RUSSIA / CHECHNYA Voice of America 04 January 2000 -- Russia's military says it is making its way slowly towards the center of the Chechen capital, Grozny, despite continued resistance from rebel fighters in the city.
- TURKEY / KURDS Voice of America 04 January 2000 -- Turkish prosecutors ruled today/Tuesday that the country's Foreign Minister, Ismail Cem, did not violate the law when he called last month for easing current bans on Kurdish language broadcasts.
- INDONESIA-MALUKUS Voice of America 04 January 2000 -- Fresh fighting has erupted in Indonesia's troubled Maluku Islands. An unknown number of people were killed Tuesday in the latest clashes between Christians and Muslims.
- ERITREA / SUDAN Voice of America 04 January 2000 -- Eritrea and Sudan have agreed to restore diplomatic ties, according to a joint communique issued Tuesday.
- LEBANON / RUSSIA Voice of America 04 January 2000 -- Security officials in Lebanon are searching for at least two accomplices they believe were involved in a grenade attack (Monday) on the Russian embassy in Beirut.
- IVORIAN COUP / CAUSES - PART ONE Voice of America 04 January 2000 -- The military coup in Ivory Coast surprised most people, but it has been welcomed by many Ivorians worried that the country was about to enter a period of collapse and civil war like that seen recently in neighboring Liberia and Sierra Leone.
- INDIA / HOSTAGE EXPERIENCE Voice of America 04 January 2000 -- The week of terror on board the India Airlines jet hijacked at the end of last month is becoming clearer.
- BOEING-BUILT XM-1 SATELLITE READY FOR LAUNCH Boeing 04 Jan 2000 -- The XM-1 spacecraft was built for XM Satellite Radio Inc., Washington D.C., by Boeing Satellite Systems, Inc. (BSS), a unit of The Boeing Company (NYSE:BA). The XM-1 satellite - designated as 'Roll' - is scheduled to launch on Jan 8, 2001 from the Sea Launch floating launch platform near the equator.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|