26 December 1999 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- GROZNY FIGHTING Voice of America 26 December 1999 -- Fighting is also underway in the rugged Caucasus Mountains to the south of Grozny, where Russia is trying to dislodge rebels from several areas.
- RUSSIA - CHECHNYA Voice of America 26 December 1999 -- Russian forces are cautiously advancing deep into the Chechen capital, Grozny in what is believed to be the long-awaited final assault on the rebel stronghold. Russian infantry units are inching forward on foot, then quickly retreating when they meet resistance and calling in air and artillery strikes.
- GENERAL GUEI PROFILE Voice of America 26 December 1999 -- The new military ruler of Ivory Coast has been at odds for years with the president he ousted on Friday, Henri Konan Bedie. In fact, General Robert Guei has twice been fired by the Bedie government - once for allegedly plotting a coup.
- IVORY COAST Voice of America 26 December 1999 -- France says it has flown the deposed president of Ivory Coast out of his country, three-days after the start of a military uprising that led to his downfall.
- ANGOLA/WAR Voice of America 26 December 1999 -- Angolan government troops have captured a longtime UNITA rebel stronghold in the southeast of the war-torn country. UNITA were driven from strongholds in the country's Central Highlands in October in a massive government offensive designed to punish UNITA for failing to live up to the terms of a 1994 peace agreement.
- SOVIET INVASION OF AFGHANISTAN REMEMBERED Voice of America 26 December 1999 -- The Afghan resistance received aid from many countries, but US help was crucial. This took the Soviets by surprise.
- HIJACK / INDIA REACT Voice of America 26 December 1999 -- India's Foreign Minister says New Delhi is examining the demands of the hijackers holding an Indian passenger plane with 161 people on board in Afghanistan.
- KANDAHAR HIJACK Voice of America 26 December 1999 -- Talks in Afghanistan between a senior U-N official and hijackers of an Indian airliner ended for the night Sunday without any resolution.
- PLANE HIJACKING Voice of America 26 December 1999 -- The five armed hijackers have threatened to kill all the hostages if India does not release a Pakistani religious leader, Maulana Masood Azhar and four Kashmiri fighters being held in an Indian jail.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|