22 December 1999 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- LOCKHEED MARTIN CONDUCTS FIRST FLIGHT FOR SH-60R MULTI-MISSION HELICOPTER Lockheed Martin 22 Dec 1999 -- Lockheed Martin Federal Systems has completed the first test flight of the U.S. Navy's SH-60R Multi-Mission Helicopter, successfully demonstrating the aircraft's primary cockpit avionics. The test flight involved the first of two prototype aircraft planned under the SH-60R program.
- 22 December 1999 - DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY OFFICE OF SPOKESMAN FOR SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 22 Dec 1999
- Transcript: Holbrooke Press Briefing at the U.S. Mission to the UN USIA 22 December 1999 -- U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Richard C. Holbrooke is telling reporters at the UN that when he serves as President of the UN Security Council during the month of January 2000, he will put highest priority on Africa.
- U-N-H-C-R / CHECHNYA Voice of America 22 December 1999 -- Chechen refugees are allegedly being intimidated to return to Chechnya. U-N-H-C-R spokesman Paul Stromberg says many of these people may have been persuaded to go back because of the difficult conditions existing in the camps in Ingushetia.
- RUSSIA / CHECHNYA FIGHTING Voice of America 22 December 1999 -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin says Moscow's military campaign in Chechnya is nearing completion. Federal forces have unleashed one of their heaviest artillery barrages yet over the Chechen capital, Grozny.
- RUSSIA / CHECHNYA Voice of America 22 December 1999 -- Human Rights Watch says there is growing evidence that Russian troops killed as many as 50 civilians this month in Alkhan-Yurt, a village 15-kilometers southeast of the Chechen capital, Grozny.
- SECURITY COUNCIL BRIEFED ON EAST TIMOR BY ASSISTANT SECRETARY-GENERAL FOR PEACEKEEPING Press Release SC/6776 - 22 December 1999 -- A donor conference held in Tokyo last week had resulted in pledges amounting to $522 million for East Timor, the Security Council was told this morning, as it heard a Secretariat briefing on the situation in that territory.
- U-N-EAST TIMOR PROGRESS Voice of America 22 December 1999 -- The United Nations Security Council heard a generally positive report today (Wednesday) on conditions in East Timor. However, there is still concern about tens of thousands of refugees who have yet to return from West Timor.
- MEXICO - ZAPATISTAS Voice of America 22 December 1999 -- The Mexican government's chief negotiator in the unresolved conflict with the Zapatista guerrillas is blaming their leader, Deputy-Commander Marcos, for not trying to reach a peace settlement.
- U-N-CONGO Voice of America 22 December 1999 -- The United Nations Security Council in a statement by its President today (Wednesday) expressed concern over cease-fire violations in Congo-Kinshasa.
- LANKA ELECTED Voice of America 22 December 1999 -- Sri Lankan President Chandrika Kumaratunga says her wounds have given her a new lease on life and made her more determined to end the country's ethnic war.
- SRI LANKA VOTE RESULT Voice of America 22 December 1999 -- Sri Lankan President Chandrika Kumaratunga has won reelection to a second term. Independent local election observers say there were widespread irregularities in the election, which came just three days after an assassination attempt on Chandrika Kumaratunga.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|