06 December 1999 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S. Air Force Accepts 56th Boeing C-17 Globemaster III Boeing 06 Dec 1999 -- The U.S. Air Force accepted its 56th Boeing C-17 Globemaster III cargo airplane in a brief ceremony here Saturday. Major General George Williams, director of Operations at the U.S. Air Force's Air Mobility Command, flew the new airlifter to McChord Air Force Base, Wash., the C-17 fleet's newest home base.
- 6 December 1999 - DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY OFFICE OF SPOKESMAN FOR SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 06 Dec 1999
- US Department of State Daily Press Briefing 06 December 1999 -- We are deeply disturbed by reports that the Russians have set a deadline urging residents of Grozny to leave by December 11. This deadline would threaten the old and infirm and others who cannot leave or are afraid to leave Grozny. Notwithstanding the dropping of warning leaflets, Russia still has the obligation to differentiate between lawful and unlawful targets in this conflict. We urge the Russians not to follow through with this ultimatum.
- Russia is using chemical weapons in Chechnya Kavkaz-Tsentr Date: December, 6, 1999 -- Today, at 8 am Oktyabrskiy and Staropromislovskiy districts of Grozny, the capital of the Chechen Republic, were shelled with special chemical bombs, which release clouds of inflammable gas creating massive blasts that incinerate buildings and people.
- CLINTON / CHECHNYA Voice of America 06 December 1999 -- President Clinton is warning Moscow that it will pay a heavy price if it follows through with its threatened drive against the Chechen capital, Grozny.
- U-S / RUSSIA / CHECHNYA Voice of America 06 December 1999 -- The United States is urging Russia not to follow through with an ultimatum to the residents of Grozny, the Chechen capital, to leave their homes by Saturday or face destruction.
- CLINTON - TALIBAN Voice of America 06 December 1999 -- President Clinton has announced new aid to Afghan refugees who flee what the United States describes as the Taliban's repressive policies against women.
- Taliban Persecution of Women and Girls in Afghanistan December 6, 1999 - In commemoration of Human Rights Day, President Clinton is announcing new U.S. policy initiatives to address the circumstances of Afghans, especially women and girls, who have suffered serious human rights abuses at the hands of the Taliban.
- SIERRA LEONE / U-N Voice of America 06 December 1999 -- The first elements of a United Nations peacekeeping force have begun arriving in Sierra Leone.
- RWANDA TRIBUNAL Voice of America 06 December 1999 -- A former national leader of Rwanda's Interahamwe militia has been found guilty of genocide at a U-N court and sentenced to life in prison.
- PRESS BRIEFING BY HUMANITARIAN COORDINATOR FOR SOMALIA United Nations 06 Dec 1999
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|